PT 40 Question

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one. I like it. Can any PR based bulb be used? Also how do I tell which bulb is in it currently? Long burn or halogen that is..

artar

Enlightened
the Halogen bulb looks like this
pn01091-.jpg

and the krypton bulb looks like this
pn01092-.jpg

Rebus

Enlightened
A problem you can have with this
light is that the reflector and
lense are very close together.
Some bulb globes are too long to
fit. The lense is probably acrylic
and will probably melt if it touches
the bulb.

-Rebus

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a tec , and though a nice light, i disliked the beam: the hotspot was strange and there were a lot of artifact/rings. and it has the textured reflector!

i changed to a krypton bulb. it is the rayovac 6v k13 or kpr113. i think it was about $1.50 for 2 at wal-mart.

the beam is MUCH improved. now the hotspot is very smooth, and the flood/spill is nearly ring free. VERY nice! and, i dont think it is any less bright.

Bob

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original halogen should be marked HMP20 and the PT krypton is PR40. I measured my PT40 housing and found that my max bulb clearance is 0.58 inch, from the inside of the clear lens to the plane of the top of the lamp flange.

I do like to use rechargeable NiMH batts and so far I like Maglite 3-cell bulbs. Radio Shack KPR103 bulbs have been recommended, but mine blew pretty fast. Rayovac 3-cell kryptons are pretty cheap, too, but I haven't tried them yet.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my PT 40, I'm using a R-Shack XPR103 xenon bulb [800ma, 3.6v] with 1800ma NIMHs with no ill effects. The lil' beastie is ungodly bright
shocked.gif
and I haven't melted anything...yet
icon15.gif
[I've only had it on for 30 minutes continuously]. The bulb has about four hours of run time on it and has been subjected to some pretty rough handling. My one complaint is that the PT 40 reflector exhibits an oblong hot spot, regardless of bulb choice [ stock, R-Shack KPR103, KPR113 & XPR103, 3D Mag White Star ].
icon3.gif

Dan

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the pics, there is a halogen in it. I think the beam and hotspot are fine. Just a step under my Scorpion in brightness, mainly just not as white, and much brighter than my E1. overall satisfied with it. I will watch out for the longer bulbs and melting hazard also.