What's with the lack of small clicky single battery EDC lights with a clip?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I upgraded to 18650's from the AA's, as they are much better power supplies, and all of a sudden you have numerous options for a small single cell light with a tail clicky and clip.

It depends what you want to carry. If you're wearing dress slacks a "small" 18650 is pretty huge. Far too large for pocket carry.

There aren't a whole lot of quality small AA clicky lights. Jetbeam PA01 is one. But its output and UI leave a lot to be desired and it can overheat, probably since its star is on a stainless steel pill.

Shiningbeam has some small clicky lights. No knurlling though. CN Quality goods has a bunch of small clickies, but their quality might be uncertain.

The one I may purchase when it comes out is the clicky version of the Eagletac D25c, which is supposed to come out at the end of this month.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
New poster/longtime viewer of the forum. Recently I've been looking to replace my Ti 4 Sevens Preon 1 with a brighter but still compact light.

I ended up with an EagleTac D25AM Ti, but miss the clicky tailcap. My past EDC was a Fenix PD20 (pre pocket clip), but I find CR 123a lights a little too fat to fit my jeans watch pocket comfortably.

I've looked high and low for a small form factor, single battery light with a clip & tailcap switch, and have been really surprised by how limited the selection is... And that most of the options are about the size of the PD20. Not to mention, every other light is anodized black. Kind of boring.

Am I the only one surprised that AA/AAA lights with a clicky and clip don't seem to exist?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one surprised that AA/AAA lights with a clicky and clip don't seem to exist?

The Streamlight C4 Microstream is a current model 1AAA light with a 2-way pocket clip, tail cap pushbutton, and momentary action. Leatherman offered the dual mode, 1AAA Serac S2 with pocket clip and clicky switch, but it was discontinued. You might still be able to find old S2 stock at dealer web sites.

They continue to provide me with problem free operation.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I upgraded to 18650's from the AA's, as they are much better power supplies, and all of a sudden you have numerous options for a small single cell light with a tail clicky and clip.

Tolip

Newly Enlightened
The Preon 1 has a clip and can have a clicky tailcap added.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tank007 has a clicks tailcap in its aaa model but no clip.
The Hypetac P1A has a clickie tailcap, a clip and comes in black or stainless steel ;) got mine from ShiningBeam

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for AA lights, Quark AA, Sunwayman V10a, Jetbeam RrT0, Nitecore D11.2(sold separately), Fenix LD10 all come with tailcap switches and clips. That's just the ones I've owned ;) there are more ...

Danielight

Enlightened
Don't forget the Zebralight models. Currently I own a Quark AA2, Quark MiniX123, EagleTac D25LC2, and ITP A3 EOS. I've been looking for a single-AA light with clicky switch, low ("moonlight") mode, and a pocket clip. I've checked all kinds of reviews ... just when I think I have found one that will fit the bill, something comes up in a review that causes me to reconsider. I have been tempted to get the Xeno E03, but its "low" setting is 80 lm. I've also been looking at the LumaPower Trust 1, but don't know if protected 14500s will fit properly. Currently, I am leaning toward the Zebralight SC80w, but would like to get a little more updated feedback on the quality of the switch ... no more issues with the light turning itself on due to static electricity? :confused:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It depends what you want to carry. If you're wearing dress slacks a "small" 18650 is pretty huge. Far too large for pocket carry.

There aren't a whole lot of quality small AA clicky lights. Jetbeam PA01 is one. But its output and UI leave a lot to be desired and it can overheat, probably since its star is on a stainless steel pill.

Shiningbeam has some small clicky lights. No knurlling though. CN Quality goods has a bunch of small clickies, but their quality might be uncertain.

The one I may purchase when it comes out is the clicky version of the Eagletac D25c, which is supposed to come out at the end of this month.

I wear dress slacks, and carry any number of 18650 lights...so perhaps its one of those issues like the seam on the toe of socks...some people are really bothered by a seam, and others tune it out/don't worry about it, etc.

If I have a ZL SC600 in my pocket, its out of sight/out of mind for me. A 4sevens S12 with a 26650 though starts to be noticeable...so that's MY PDR on size. A Klarus XT11 is even OK in my front pant pocket. (18650)

I have NEVER attempted to pocket carry the 4sevens S18 though, as that's well past the S12 in pocketability. The S12 is fat, but only ~ 5" long, and is OK as a pocket rocket...the S18 is fatter, and longer...and crosses the line for me as a pocket rocket.

:D