Just got my first 4 sevens, a Preon 2, and I'm disapointed

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I have typically been a Surfire guy who runs primaries. Every time I have branched out I have been disappointed except for my Fenix E05 and the Streamlight stylus line. But after reading here and watching a lot of youtube I decided I would try a Preon 2. I was really excited, it seems like a neat light. Well the one that arrived in the mail was pretty much dead on arrival. I tried fresh AAA's and nothing. I actually got it to turn on if I loosened the head just right, but it would switch modes if shaken. I think I just got a bad light and this probably isn't a good indication of 4 sevens (I know stats, a sample size of 1 isn't relevant). The company I ordered the light from doesn't do exchanges, but instead is issuing a full refund including shipping costs and the cost to ship the defective light back. So that was really nice, I am just out some time.

When the light turned on it was pretty impressive. The fit and finish also looked pretty good. It had potential, but I am not sure if it would take the place of the Streamlight stylus in my pocket.

I am not sure if I am going to order another one. I think I am going to wait a while. Maybe something else that is really cool and I just "have" to have will come out.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will you try two tests?

1. Tighten the head all the way, install batteries, and take the tailcap off. Use foil or a wire and short from battery (-) to a shiny, bare part of the flashlight body. Does it work? If so, use little probes (Multimeter probes or sharp needlenose pliers work well) to tighten the little ring inside the tailcap switch. You stick 'em in and twist, righty tighty. That should take care of you. That ring is important to the switch's function, and I don't know why they get loose sometimes. Mine has never come loose during use, though.

2. Take the head off, then use some alligator clips and one AAA or AA to connect battery (+) to the center contact and battery (-) to the outside ring. Does it work? If not, you've got a dud head. Try dealing with 4sevens directly, as they have a fairly nice warranty service.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for sharing your experience.

however if everyone who got a new light and opened a new thread telling his/her user story so far then there would be 100 hundred new such threads ("i bought a new light and that's my story") on a daily basis and some 5-10% of them about 4sevens lights (because they are on sale and very popular on CPF) and many similar threads ("i bought a new 4sevens and that's my not so super happy story"). DAILY.

you know that 4Sevens is an official supporter of this community and a paying subscriber to CPF/CPFMP privileges. they also have their own forum subsection on CPFMP. it does no good to the community nor to the manufacturer if everyone who has received a limona opens a new thread on CPF and blows the charanga. i suggest you add your post (comments on your received lemon) in an existing thread on CPF (or in the 4sevens subforum section if you dare) or keep it to yourself altogether.

cpf is to support and protect the interests of the official supporters, dealers and manufacturers and not let everyone speak bad about quality assurance issues, thanks for your comprehension.

[...]

having echado the above sermón, i do possess my own share of 4sevens stuff and there would be enough to criticize about it but i hold back as much as i can. follow my example ;)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea isn't to muffle your situation, but to keep it organized. Let me know how those tests turn out. One is a common/easy/permanent fix, the other means you've got a lemon. Good luck!

ragweed

Enlightened
Try to tighten the ring inside the tail switch is good advice! Mine was acting up & I did just that = problem solved.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Before I started the thread I did a search and I didn't find other similar threads which is why I started this one. Maybe my search-fu is weak. I was not saying that 4 sevens makes horrible products, my sample size is entirely too small to even make generalizations. And I don't really believe the company is bad. Like I said in my OP, the retailer is taking good care of me.

I ran the tests that AnAppleSnail suggested. The rear ring is loose, but I cannot tighten it enough to function consistently. I am glad I found the issue though. Thanks.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran the tests that AnAppleSnail suggested. The rear ring is loose, but I cannot tighten it enough to function consistently. I am glad I found the issue though. Thanks.
We may be able to help you get it tightened so that it works - that way you can evaluate the light to replace or return for money. What are you using to tighten it? If sturdy multimeter probes or needlenose pliers won't do the trick, then I think your tailcap at least needs replaced.

justang1997

Newly Enlightened
15yrs old, reg this month, 7 posts.

yeahr - right.

Your post lacked tact. I didn't know it was considered inappropriate to buy a new flashlight, and then start a thread to discuss it with people on a flashlight forum, even if it has already been discussed. Sometimes people get on a forum to discuss things with other users who are also online for some realtime interaction. If I just wanted to read other peoples months old posts about issues that may be exactly the same as mine then I would do that and never post anything because it seems 95% of anything I ever would want to know about flashlights has been discussed on here already.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calm down justintang1997. :-/

Posted from my iphone using Tapatalk

salimoneus

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you got a bad one, happens with all manufacturers. Maybe try their customer support (which is quite good) first before coming to the forum, that's why they have support and a nice warranty. If there is a clear design defect (apparently not the case here) or their service fails you then it's reasonable to post a negative review. Otherwise you've not even given the manufacturer an opportunity to correct an issue before slamming them. Not very good form.

davecroft

Enlightened
Your post lacked tact. I didn't know it was considered inappropriate to buy a new flashlight, and then start a thread to discuss it with people on a flashlight forum, even if it has already been discussed. Sometimes people get on a forum to discuss things with other users who are also online for some realtime interaction. If I just wanted to read other peoples months old posts about issues that may be exactly the same as mine then I would do that and never post anything because it seems 95% of anything I ever would want to know about flashlights has been discussed on here already.

I agree. Didn't know there were issues with people posting their reactions to receiving a new light.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
My thread was not intended to bash 4 sevens. Next time I will ask for help in addition to just posting my thoughts.

I am glad that I started the thread because I now know that the issue is with the rear ring near the tailcap. I want to thank everyone for their assistance. Circuits, electricity and magnetism wasn't my strongest class in college.

pblanch

Enlightened
Its good that the company you dealt with will just refund (including postage!) it rather than send you another. Sounds like when it did work you did like it thought. I have read a lot about this light with both positive and negative (about the contact issues) but generally most see a lot of potential. I dont have one myself but am still considering one but thanks for sharing your experiences. I personally like to hear the pluses and minuses of the lights I am interested in and am thankful that the manufacturers don't interfere with this forum as I have seen forums that have and they just get ruined and become blatant marketing tools.

Keep up the good work the CPF community.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
I posted in another thread last week that I ordered a Preon 2 high cri and received it last wednesday. My second 4sevens light and my first high cri. I own over a dozen other lights from several manufacturers.
The Preon 2 is fantastic, perfect centering of the led and I've been carrying it in my dress shirt pocket every day at work Coworkers are amazed at the output and color rendition. A few are waiting for the new branding lights in April and will order a preon 1 or 2.
Don't give up on 4sevens, sounds like you just got one that should have not left the factory.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
I agree. Didn't know there were issues with people posting their reactions to receiving a new light.

I also agree. I took it as an opportunity to say don't give up on 4sevens by hearing the experience I just had. I thought the "tact" police were the moderators.