Trits.....am i missing something?

davyro

Enlightened
hi everyone,I've been wondering this for a while now so i thought I'd ask the CPF community there valued thoughts on trits.You see i don't really see the point of putting multi coloured decorations on a
light.I know a lot of people here really like them & i'm all for anyone doing there own thing,it's i just don't see why not having trits in a light would stop someone from buying an otherwise perfect light.
I say this because when i take a look at what's for sale on CPF i see members comments saying if the light only had trits i would have taken it.Do trits serve any function to make the light better?
some of the custom built lights are totally awesome & i'd really love to own a few of them.I do own a couple of titanium custom lights & i think the way they were designed & built is fantastic so why
would i go & spend more money on multi coloured shiny things.I'm not critisizing anyone who likes them I'd just honestly like to know what all the fuss is about because i don't get it.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Functionally it allows you to see the light if it's off. If the light is dropped or set down that can be of value to some.

egrep

Enlightened
The fuss is indeed because they are "multi colored shiny things"

I've got over 200 tritium vials now and I hope to have as many more before I die. If I were a native north american and some pale skinned visitors from a big wooden UFO (unidentified floating object) offered me barrels of beads, mirrors and other "multi coloured shiny things" I'd have been overjoyed to "sell them the land" (WTF? LOL, Suckers!)

Trit markers can also be very practical for locating gear and personnel . But 20 or so on a single light is purely for fun!

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can be done well, and overdone. That's for sure. So can tattoos.

Jeff Hanko's 3D tails...hard to argue against these. Tasteful...creative...yet also functional. His design incorporates the trits into the design to make them more than just little indicators.

In general, having one in the tail (or four around the bezel) as an indicator is functionally better than not. It's a flashlight. By definition, you need it most when it's pitch black. You'll find the light with the trits first, save those you already have on you.

Overloading a light like a Sunwayman V10 can be just plain fun, too. However, I can understand where the excesses can seem pointless.

obi

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the whole scene with flashlights / torches is totally OTT which to me makes it fun. In reality why do we need titanium in a flashlight. There is no doubt a lot of love for titanium. It is expensive to machine titanium, it is a poor conductor of heat, heavier than aluminium. Yet we all love the idea of titanium. Adding tritium seems very unnecessary but I think it makes it more fun. I think that goes for all the other tritium accessories such as key fobs, bevy markers etc. I suppose as human beens we like shiny sparkling things that are adorned with colour hence gold, platinum, diamonds and rubies etc are highly valued especially when set beautifully together in jewellery.

davyro

Enlightened
Well you've gave me some great answers i'm really glad i asked the question,so i now understand they're not pointless at all if they help you to locate your light in the pitch darkness
thats great.Also like i said it's everyone to there own tastes & as Obi mentioned the light switches with 3 trits in do look very good,i think they're KuKu upgrades.Mohan i see what
your saying about us loving titanium i don't think i'd place gold or diamonds on a flashlight though hahaha.Thanks for the replies they're really appreciated.
Dave

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You're asking for edification from people who are willing to risk immolation in pursuit of illumination?

:welcome:

fyrstormer

Banned
If I were a native north american and some pale skinned visitors from a big wooden UFO (unidentified floating object) offered me barrels if beads, mirrors and other "multi floured shiny things" I'd have been overjoyed to "sell them the land" (WTF? LOL, Suckers!)
Just in case anyone might get seriously offended by this, you were making fun of the apparent ignorance of the Europeans, not the Native Americans, right?

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually what Obi said is quite true... I have gone mad with the Sunwayman v10r Ti installing as many trits as I can because it is immense fun. I have not drilled or slotted any of the McGizmos, Macs or other hard to find Ti lights. I have left them alone.

Customising the V10r Ti has been a steep learning curve because it got me into machining and learning how to doing it with Precision. I personally think that V10r is one of those lights you can customise in so many different ways because it is relatively affordable, widely available, easy to customise due to its simple design and has some nice design features like the fins that look amazing with the fin mod. Similarly the JHanko looks nice with the ring of trits but not the type of light you could go drilling for fun due to the cost and been hard to get as it is much sought after light.

As for not putting jewels on flashlights - I cannot see it happening as it probably does not fit with the macho man image. I am sure if someby starts it... Seriously jewels are encrusted on watches, pens, men's accessories (cuff links, tie clips).... Shall we start a new thread?

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
Just in case anyone might get seriously offended by this, you were making fun of the apparent ignorance of the Europeans, not the Native Americans, right?

Oh hells yes! Thanks for clarifying... you're 100% correct in your interpretation of what I'm saying. The 'Suckers' here are most definitely the aliens from the UFO. But then look what happened. It's tragic.

And that's why I'm not so worried about offending the Europeans, of which I am one. (I'm an 'anchor baby', ESL too. My mom still has her green card!)

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
I think the very last flashlight I would ever sell would be my 6x8 JHanko 3D D10. Perhaps the penultimate light to go would be my 15x Gavina, then the 10x1 JHanko EX10. After that would be the 10 strong 24x(+) V10R Tritium Monster Army I'm building.

Trits are fantastic! I'll hope that if I live another 15 years the world won't be so @#^@^ up that such luxuries aren't available.

Slightly off topic but I would be remiss if I didn't point out the shiniest, most colourful aspect of all of this are the folks involved. The makers, the collectors and all the rich interactions and relationships that evolve and derive.
lovecpf :grouphug:

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Oh hells yes! Thanks for clarifying... you're 100% correct in your interpretation of what I'm saying. The 'Suckers' here are most definitely the aliens from the UFO. But then look what happened. It's tragic.

And that's why I'm not so worried about offending the Europeans, of which I am one. (I'm an 'anchor baby', ESL too. My mom still has her green card!)
Hmm. I wonder if my mom still has hers. She escaped from behind the Iron Curtain back in the late 60's. Landed in Manhattan and had never seen a folded-top wax-paper milk carton before. Cut the top off because she didn't know how to open it. She learned quickly though. :)

davyro

Enlightened
This thread is fast becoming totally awesome,the stories that are coming out & the opinions are just first class,my next thread is going to be" How do i get a green card(with trits)without leaving Europe in a UFO"

KuKu427

Enlightened
I've been asked this question quite a few times.
The explanation that I usually give is that it help you find the light when its dark, and dark is exactly when you need a flashlight.
The more or bigger the trits, the farther away you can see the light from.

egrep

Enlightened
True. You can see the lights I've pimped with Steve's tritium parts from the moon!

I've been asked this question quite a few times.
The explanation that I usually give is that it help you find the light when its dark, and dark is exactly when you need a flashlight.
The more or bigger the trits, the farther away you can see the light from.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I like em cause they're just plain damn cool :thumbsup:. I concider myself to be moderate with my trits. On my V10R Ti I've got 12 trits on the cooling fins and I have a switch ordered with 6 trits and that's as far as I'll go on my Ti. I also have a Ti bezel with 6 trits coming that will go on my Desert Beige coated V10R T6 alumnium light and when the funds permit I'll get a switch with 6 trits for it. Now when the V11R comes out, that will be a whole new ball game. Hmm! :thinking: Maybe I'll save the bezel for the V11R. Or maybe just order another bezel. Oh man, :shakehead the combinations, :eek: it can go on forever with Steve Ku trit mods . There are some out there that take trits to the extreem and that's cool too. :twothumbs And I enjoy taking pictures of my lights with all their trits glowing in the dark.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that some of the CPFer's excentricities involving flashlights (trits, titatnium, stainless, etc.) have a lot to do with the fact that people already have more lights than they realistically need and also with the fact that these luxuries are available. So far, I have been buying aluminum only lights because I have always used my flashlights in situations where I can drop and damage them. Now that I have wayyyy more lights than I need, I'm looking into the more exotic and much more expensive options, including trits - just for the artsy look.

davyro

Enlightened
If i hear anymore good reasons to have trits your going to make me end up having some :nana:

Last edited: