rechargeables on 1xcr123 lights?

enthewhite

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have been researching all of the EDCable cr123 flashlights I can find, with the intention of getting a pocket flashlight that is more powerful than my 4sevens preon revo, but smaller than my jetbeam RRT-21.

One feature which I think is important to me is compatibility with rechargeable cr123s (although I am open to opinions on the contrary). But I cannot seem to figure out which of the lights I am looking at will work with rechargeables. If the manufacturer doesn't specifically list a light as being compatible with rcr123, does that mean it isn't? To add to my confusion, I was set on the jetbeam pc10, but then I heard it only works on turbo mode for about 30min with the rcr123, and doesn't work on any other output mode. I could also be convinced to get a AA/14500 light, but my same confusion still exists there too.

Can somebody help me figure out which of these lights will work with rcr123s, and work on all brightness modes?

Jetbeam pc10
Jetbeam rrt-0
Jetbeam rrt-01
klarus xt1c
klarus p1c
Sunwayman v10r
Sunwayman m11r u2
Sunwayman v11r
Eagletac d25c

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
The Sunwayman V10R and M11R U2 both can take voltages up to 4.2 volts which means they can use rechargeable RCR123A batteries and work on all brightness modes. I use them in all my V10R Ti lights.

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
I have the EagleTac D25C and I have been using it with rechargable battery from Battery Station. Very bright! However the little D25C heats up like a bomb on medium and high settings. After 10 minutes of use, the flashlight is too hot to hold comfortably. Also, the medium and high settings yield results (light output) that look identical to my untrained eye. With a (non-rechargable) CR123 cell, the flashlight can go 20 minutes before it becomes too hot to hold. The medium setting runs forever at a comfortable temperature.

Last edited:

enthewhite

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys! I am leaning towards the sunwayman lights now. Not sure if I will go for the mr elfin, or wait for the v11r.... 500 lumens is pretty enticing. I wonder how long you will be able to run it that high though? I am hoping to use the light as edc/bike light. Maybe I can make a custom bike mount that acts as a heat sink so I can run it on turbo longer.

Imon

Enlightened
I briefly owned a Sunwayman V10r (XM-L) and they do advertise that it does have a much higher max brightness on 16340s than on CR123a.

I didn't do any rigorous scientific testing to prove it one way or another but a simple ceiling bounce test clearly showed that the V10r (XM-L) on a 16340 was quite a pocket rocket.

I think the main concern that manufactures have, and it is a legitimate one, is that of overheating on pocket rockets.
My current backup flashlight is a Quark Mini 123 High CRI and even though 4sevens recommends that you don't run it on a 16340 I do anyways and I haven't had any issues thus far. I just make sure I don't run it on high for too long.