HDS Flashlight Clip Options and Mods - Why no standard tailcap clip?

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the Achilles heel of HDS is their clips. I guess Henry doesn't want to risk ruining the water-resistant nature of his lights by drilling and tapping holes on the tailcap? Almost everyone else does it though. Kinda always seems odd to me. IMHO, the standard Ra/HDS clips makes hardcore "tool" into an ugly tool.

Anyways, know of a person that makes more conventional clip mods like the one pictured below? Does anyone want this clip option for future HDS lights? Should we all tell Henry? (I'm a clip person btw).

dsc03106i.jpg

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a risk of not getting cut by that Kershaw, .... I'm not too keen on that clip! ... :duck:

Plus if it was installed on a Rotary, the end of the clip IMO would take/rub the ano off of the head.

Presently the Clicky has three options;

CIMG2198Clips.jpg

OEM HDS clip, HDS Deco clip, and Jason's (Prometheus Dark Sucks) plain or "Flame Broiled Colorful" Ti clip. Fourth if you can find a Moddoo clip and a fifth if you tap holes to the head to install the older style clip!

Oh, sixth if you tap holes to the tail cap to install a clip like your's!

nbp

Flashaholic
At a risk of not getting cut by that Kershaw, .... I'm not too keen on that clip! ... :duck:

OEM HDS clip, HDS Deco clip, and Jason's (Prometheus Dark Sucks) plain or "Flame Broiled Colorful" Ti clip. Fourth if you can find a Moddoo clip and a fifth if you tap holes to the head to install the older style clip!

Oh, sixth if you tap holes to the tail cap to install a clip like your's!

You take that back! The clip installed on that Clicky is from McGizmo, and is one of the greatest clips ever designed!

img0462xg.jpg

And the Deco clip basically is a Moddoo clip. Exact same design. And to the OP, here is a great thread on how different members carry their Clickies you might be interested in.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck what do I know, I'm the new guy around here! ... :naughty: ... :crackup:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
You take that back! The clip installed on that Clicky is from McGizmo, and is one of the greatest clips ever designed!

Actually, that clip from post #1 is a Nitecore EX11 clip (knockoff McGizmo clip if you will) I got tired of the Moddoo clip being out of stock and this was the only option at the time I could find. (pre dark sucks) I personally like the clip on it but have since acquired a Moddoo clip and use my 17670 body mostly now.

It's kind of cool seeing one of my pics in another thread, THANKS!

Jamie

kromeke

Enlightened
These are my favorite clips: The Arc4 style clip. I had to drill and tap 3 of the lights in the picture, all are still water tight (but I cut it close on the twisty). Sorry, they are tail cap mounted, I like the bezel up so I can clip it to the brim of a baseball cap for expedient headlamp.

From left to right: Ra Twisty, HDS EDC B42, Novatac 85P, Ra Clicky prototype (now lost :()

IMG_2256.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Someone was selling a Clicky Proto in the MP a bit ago. Might still be there if you are looking to replace it. Nice work tapping all those lights for clips too. :eek:oo:

Edit: Looks like it's gone. Sorry.

Last edited:

kromeke

Enlightened
Someone was selling a Clicky Proto in the MP a bit ago. Might still be there if you are looking to replace it. Nice work tapping all those lights for clips too. :eek:oo:Edit: Looks like it's gone. Sorry.
Yeah, I saw the Clicky Proto for sale. I wanted it but I don't have the $$$ at the moment. I've been thinning the herd. Novatac 85P body (the one it the picture) with a 120P light engine with a high CRI emitter from an HDS (sold that one too, the HDS). I figure that with this crowd, I'll get another chance sometime.

The Novatac (from the first production) has been a great light. The Proto has better springs on the end and the same style, with just a smidgeon of increase in length. I have a non-acme HDS high CRI as well, or sort of, my lady uses it.

Thanks for the complement on the tapping. Goes pretty easy with the right equipment. After I did the twisty, I called Henry and asked him how thick the bulkhead was, If I recall, it is .2". Plenty of room, I just cut it close with the twisty, as I didn't know how thick the bulkhead was. The Clicky Proto was the tightest one to drill, not much material. The Novatac had a curved transition from the reflector diameter to the inner for more room (I'm guessing the Novatac was designed for a screw down clip, but never implemented). The Clicky Proto has a straight transition from one diameter to the next, making it very cramped. I hope that someone is enjoying the light I lost. I had it programmed to force on the lowest setting, so whom ever found it would have been disappointed with it unless they knew better.

For the legacy HDS clickys, it wouldn't be hard to make for someone to make a new tail cap with an extension to permit a clip. It would make tail standing no problem. I might do one sometime, but I don't do production (yet).

Vesper

Enlightened
You know, the lack of a good clip option for the rotary is the main reason I can't get myself to pull the trigger.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just have to voice my preference here for no clip, especially no permanent clip lugs or holes etc.

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
Someone was selling a Clicky Proto in the MP a bit ago. Might still be there if you are looking to replace it. Nice work tapping all those lights for clips too. :eek:oo:

Edit: Looks like it's gone. Sorry.

That was me :wave:

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the options everyone. I actually like the Dark sucks (in plain Ti) best. And BTW, I'm sure Nitecore got permission to design the clip that way from McGizmo/McLeish. That's why they also have the Smart PD series tech as well. So blame Don. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the options everyone. I actually like the Dark sucks (in plain Ti) best. And BTW, I'm sure Nitecore got permission to design the clip that way from McGizmo/McLeish. That's why they also have the Smart PD series tech as well. So blame Don. :)

Glad you found what you were looking for. :)

In regards to the second part, I don't think so. The PD system I believe was licensed, the clip was not, based on Don's comments toward it in this thread; the Jetbeam clicky switch is mentioned there too. I just really get tired of foreign (or anyone for that matter) companies ripping off ideas from our beloved custom builders, who work so hard to come up with innovative new designs. Don's a genius, and deserves to be rewarded for his hard work, not have it stolen. But alas, people can't come up with their own ideas. :sigh: Nitecore also copied Muyshondt's designs with the EZ series of lights too. They don't exactly sit too well with me as you can see.