Fenix MC10/11, DX assembly question

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up one of those $10 MC10 knock-offs from DX.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stylis...ashlight-adjustable-angle-1x14500-1xaa-102522 Amazingly, worked right out of the box.

I don't have a lot of bad things to say about this light. Body is all aluminum with vinyl grip as opposed to the MC10's PVC. Switch is a reverse clicky with a nice, sharp feel to it and can be operated with gloves on (tried it). Lens appears to be glass. Tail cap is magnetic and hold the light firmly in place. Pocket clip is deep and appears to be pretty solid.

The detent mechanism for angle adjustment is plastic and makes a stupid, popping sound, but *meh*.

Question is: Has anyone ever tried to get inside the head on any of these lights?

The beam on this light is really spotty and for my uses I'd prefer it was more of a flood. Thought it would me a simple matter to put some diffuser film on the inside of the lens, but as near as I can tell, the bezel does not screw apart. I could be wrong, but I don't see any seams (which leaves me wondering how they put these things together).

Anyone have any experience here? Thanks... -BM

Last edited:

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, BreathingMeat!

If you look very carefully (like under a strong magnifier), you'll see that there is a tiny little gap where the head meets the main body indicating that's where it's screwed together. It will take quite a bit of torque to unscrew it as they used some sort of thread lock or thread sealer on the threads (in addition to an "o" ring). One you get it unscrewed, the led/reflector/lens assembly is still not going to come out of the head as they apparently used some sort of sealer there, too. You'll probably have to drive it out using a wood dowel or something like that.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, BM! You're alright, despite what what everyone says about ya'.

I'll give it a try.