I didn't know Polarion made led lights

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest, greatest LED isn't the end-all of everything. An XP-E will out-throw an XM-L, considering the reduced scatter light.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but I'm not really so much into throw in a light this small but as the stated Q5@130 lumen's is a bit dull these days even an XPG would be better.
Lumens are overrated these days. Reliability, runtime, and beam pattern are far more important for actual use.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens are overrated these days. Reliability, runtime, and beam pattern are far more important for actual use.

Because having more light available at less current draw is a bad thing??? How much light would an XM-L be emitting at 200 mA? Of course you wouldn't have to run it at 200 mA.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont take this the wrong way mate but I'm puzzled by your statement,

Reliability: XML would be more reliable than a Q5 because it is newer technology, and runs cooler.
Runtime: obvious that an XML will give you a longer runtime than the Q5 as its more efficient.
Beam pattern: XML will give a better quality beam (flood with some throw) V's Q5.

Yes Q5 might throw further, but I never said I wanted it for a thrower.
And yes I understand that we don't have to rush out and buy the latest and greatest led light if the one we have does the job - but this is why we are flashaholics, if you could buy two of the same lights for the same price but one has a narrower beam @ 130 lumens and one with a smoother beam with longer runtimes and 600 lumens (on tap if you needed them) which would you choose?
Btw this light came out in 2008, that's why they have a Q5.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont take this the wrong way mate but I'm puzzled by your statement,

Reliability: XML would be more reliable than a Q5 because it is newer technology, and runs cooler.
Runtime: obvious that an XML will give you a longer runtime than the Q5 as its more efficient.
Beam pattern: XML will give a better quality beam (flood with some throw) V's Q5.

Yes Q5 might throw further, but I never said I wanted it for a thrower.
And yes I understand that we don't have to rush out and buy the latest and greatest led light if the one we have does the job - but this is why we are flashaholics, if you could buy two of the same lights for the same price but one has a narrower beam @ 130 lumens and one with a smoother beam with longer runtimes and 600 lumens (on tap if you needed them) which would you choose?
Btw this light came out in 2008, that's why they have a Q5.

Newer LEDs are not necessarily more reliable. In fact, the XP-E or XR-E (Use the part number, not the brightness bin) has been run in countless applications for tens of thousands of hours of real use and abuse. Some time ago a well-known LED maker flopped on a new release - big press, big numbers (For the time), and a horrendous failure rate once it hit the markets. The XM-L probably won't do this, but the XP-E is a known quantity.

Flashlight design isn't putting the newest things in a tube and selling it - it's a balance of cost per unit, optic source size, optic size, battery choice, unit size, interface, control type, and so on. Polarion makes SAR gear, which usually wants throw - to see through mist, fog, and smoke. Anyone can get the aftermarket diffuser (Which I assume exists for this, but haven't checked) for a floodier light. If Polarion chose a throwier beam for a small light, they're forced to use a smaller-die LED, like the XR-E or XP-E. An aspheric might give a tight throw, but just ask Saabluster what it would cost to put quality aspherics into production - and the tradeoffs involved in it (Patents alone...).

I don't mind rough beams if it shows me what I want. My SC600 has to crank up to 750 lumens (XM-L, Runs an hour and a half, boiling hot) to see the fence, while my mag lite does it at 70 lumens (XP-E, Runs 10 hours).