Olight M20 vs. M21 vs. Luma D-Mini EX2 vs. Jetbeam RRT-21 vs Jet III vs. Fenix TK-21?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a long list I know, but these are the ones I've been stressing over at Batteryjunction. I haven't even gotten to the Eagletacs or Foursevens or Skilhunts or the other 67 brands with similar lights yet...... You'll notice that all the listed lights above are in the same basic power range, battery type and similar size(except the Lumapower EX-2 which may or may not be used with an extension tube). They are all supposedly in the 450-600 lumen range and all use either 2 123's or 1 18650 battery. So I'm obviously nin the marekt for a mid sized light at this point. The price range is from $84 to $114 here. The 2 I have some minimal doubt about are the Fenix TK-21 and the Luma Ex-2. I keep hearing a few complaints here and there about Fenix, and I dont know squat about Lumapower. So I'm hoping the experts here can shed some light on this long and potentially troubled list, and pick out 1 or 2 of the best here, or maybe even add to to the list. No, maybe only add to the list if you can think of a better light that isnt on the list already! Thanks..........

JML

Enlightened
This will make it more complicated or much easier: consider the Sunwayman V20C and the EagleTac G25C2.

If you want a relatively small 2xCR123A form factor light with infinitely variable output, look at the V20C. If you want a larger head on a longer throwing light with twist control for 4 output options, a clip, a great diffuser, and more options, think about the G25C2.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will make it more complicated or much easier: consider the Sunwayman V20C and the EagleTac G25C2.

If you want a relatively small 2xCR123A form factor light with infinitely variable output, look at the V20C. If you want a larger head on a longer throwing light with twist control for 4 output options, a clip, a great diffuser, and more options, think about the G25C2.

Which Aston model is that in your avatar? Is it a DB9, DBS, Vantage, Virage, Vanquish? They all have that same basic front end. Thanks for adding those to the list. I like the Eagletac G25C2 best of the 2, but the Sunwayman looks OK too. I actually looked through the Sunwayman stuff at batteryjunction but overlooked this light for some reason.

It seems the Eagletac is now at the top of my list after some reading, but that could change...

zenbeam

Enlightened
I'm a relative newbie here, but thought I'd chime in. I have a Fenix TK21 and I must say that I do love it! It is my "light cannon". BUT - I also own a couple of EagleTacs and I must say that the build quality between the two companies is incredibly similar (meaning excellent). The Fenix's are, for lack of a better word, a bit more on the elegant side and the EagleTacs are somehow more "professional" IMHO, yet both are way solid and superbly machined and crafted.

Now - the Fenix "niggle" I keep hearing about too... the "green" tint. Well, I'll tell ya'.... my TK21 has it and I still love it! I didn't even notice it until I shined an EagleTac light up next to it for a beam comparison. By comparison, the EagleTac beam is creamy white (with an XP-G S2), but without the comparison... the TK21 rocks all by itself and you don't even think green.

That said.... I love my EagleTacs and I love my Fenix's (what few I have of each lol) - but if I HAD to choose between my Fenix TK21 and the EagleTac G25C2.....

The EagleTac would win it hands down. (shhhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell my Fenix's I said that!).

keenism

Newly Enlightened
Mind if I throw the Lumintop td15S into this "vs", I cant seem to find much opinion about it(in english) around the internets.

BlackhawkB

Newly Enlightened
I was in the same situation a couple of months ago, hesitating between the TK21 and the G25C2.

I ended up with the TK21 for different personal reasons (The G25C2 seems to be more powerful in the Ads, but eagletac's are always about LED lumens.. if you look at the ANSI lumens they are not that high. I didn't like the limited time turbo mode in the eagletac, and most of all the change mode button in the TK21 is WAY nicer than the twisty head of the eagletac).

Also, if you want to have accessories likes filters, diffuser, etc, I can tell you the Olight M21 accessories are 100% compatible with the TK21, the head diameter is the same.
I bought a blue filter and it fits like it was made for it.

Last edited:

zenbeam

Enlightened
I love my EagleTacs and I love my Fenix's (what few I have of each lol) - but if I HAD to choose between my Fenix TK21 and the EagleTac G25C2.....

The EagleTac would win it hands down. (shhhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell my Fenix's I said that!).

You know - perhaps I said that in haste. I went home after posting that and checked out my TK21 a bit and man.... it is one helluva seriously outstanding flashlight! To be fair, I would have to own or have access to an EagleTac G25C2 for a few days or so before passing judgement on a choice between the two. When I made that statement, I was thinking about the creamy white beam of my owned EagleTacs and no other aspects of a flashlight. The Fenix TK21 is beautiful. Pardon my digression. :whistle:

spc smith

Enlightened
HighLanderNorth,

Let me throw you a curve ball, check out: Klarus XT11 @ 600 lumens with the best tactical UI (user interface) to date. Also check out Thrunite TN11 @ 750 lumens,l most bang for you buck lumens, but not so good UI. Happy light hunting !

RBWNY

Enlightened
Funny that you had the JetBeams in your title... but nobody said yay or nay about them. Well I have both the RRT-21 and the Jet III M. I love them both, and they're both uniquely different. The clip on the 21 is not as useable as the 'M', however the 'M' has the variable brightness....which doesn't go as low as I'd like. The III M's main level is user-set. To change it, you have to "set" it again. The 2nd level is always HIGH, with a twist of the head. Both are well machined, can tailstand, and have similar beams. Check `em out!

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vanquish S. :)

And no, I don't own one! Wish I did, though.

Really? I own all the Astons I listed there!(Nope)

I like the Vantage. They are Aston Martin's smaller 2 door coupes. You can get a V-8 Vantage or the V-12 Vantage. It has the same basic front end styling of many Astons. I was watching a review of the V12 Vantage on Top Gear UK, and not only is that car absolutely beautiful, it sounds soooooo good!

Anyone got an extra $180,000?

^^To RBWNY: I like Jetbeam stuff. I like both of those Jetbeam lights, the Jet III and the RRT-21. You probably cant go wrong with either.

How low does the Jet III go when you adjust it all the way down? The Jet III has infinite brightness ability, but I guess you have to set it for 1 brightness level and 1 strobe, then when you click it, it either goes to ,that preset brightness setting or if you click it again to the strobe setting. Is that right? But with the RRT-21, you can just always twist the control ring to adjust it infinitely.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
HighLanderNorth,

Let me throw you a curve ball, check out: Klarus XT11 @ 600 lumens with the best tactical UI (user interface) to date. Also check out Thrunite TN11 @ 750 lumens,l most bang for you buck lumens, but not so good UI. Happy light hunting !

I just looked at the Klarus, and I really liked everything about it.......til I got to the brightness settings. I've found that 30-40-60 lumens is perfect for almost every basic task, and I really dont need much more for everyday use. So I was hoping the Klarus would have a setting in the 30-60L range, but unfortunately it doesnt. It has either 10L or 150L. I can get away with 10L for a lot of stuff, but its a bit low for most tasks outside if I want to see more than a few feet away. I love the dual rear switch though.

The Thrunite tn11 looks nice too. Its listed at max lumens of 830, but thats apparently with 2 extender tubes. From what I could tell off Amazon.com's listing of this light, it may or may not come with 1 extender tube. It says so at first, but later the in the same list of specs, it says no! Also, I cant get a good spec on the battery life. It says:
"Runtime: 75 mins for 1 18650 (2600mAh) down to 50%. 47minutes down to 50%(3CR123A )"

Anyway, I dont really understand what they are saying there.^^ It stays on full power for 75 minutes, then drops to 50% on 1 18650 but stays on full for 47 mins on 2 CR123's? It is infinitely adjustable, which is good, but once you twist the bezel to get it to the brightness you want, then does it remember that wqhen you turn it on, and that becomes the only setting until you readjust the bezel?

Anyway, they both look like good lights, which means my already confusing list has become more confusing.........Thanks!

RBWNY

Enlightened
How low does the Jet III go when you adjust it all the way down? The Jet III has infinite brightness ability, but I guess you have to set it for 1 brightness level and 1 strobe, then when you click it, it either goes to ,that preset brightness setting or if you click it again to the strobe setting. Is that right? But with the RRT-21, you can just always twist the control ring to adjust it infinitely.

Okay, let me see if I understand what you're asking. It's the RRT that's truly "infinite".... which in my estimation would be around 3 lumens at the lowest setting. The Jet III has ONE setting which YOU decide on by allowing the light to ramp from low to high. If you can catch it when the ramp starts...it's pretty low... lower than what the RRT goes to. The 2nd pre-set setting is HIGH and only high! I've never used the strobe on that one, but it can be set to strobe of course. But strobe and high would make no sense to me. As you said... you can't go wrong with either of `em :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first read the specs of the Jet III a few months ago, it was hard to understand what was going on, because I was new to LED flashlights at that time, and most other FL's simply clicked between 2 or 3 or 4 settings. But it seemed that the Jet III was infinite, however you had to ramp it up through the range, and pick a brightness you liked. But it also seemed they were saying you only picked 1 brightness setting and you picked a strobe setting. So when you used the light, you had the choice of either the pre-chosen brightness setting or the pre chosen strobe.

Of the 2, I kinda like the RRT-21 better. But it costs about $26 more. The Jet III is among the cheapest on this ever growing list!

spc smith

Enlightened
HighLanderNorth,

I have had the Jetbeam 3M XML in the past, very good light and solid workmanship. The deal breaker here is I have leaned toward a more simpler UI. One thing you should know about changing modes with Jetbeam 3M XML is.... its too much button pushing. Simple UI'sare my preference after having had a couple lights in the past. You might also want to check out the Sunwayman V20C with variable brightness.

LostCove NC

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the g25c2.

The easiest way to simplify light shopping is to only buy lights that offer neutral tints. That will eliminate about 90% of the xm-l throwers out there...leaving the Eagletacs and a few others.