5x 5W Luxeon light (fictional)

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't keep dreaming of this light.. 25watts(5 x 5watts) 600 Lumens(5 x 120) LED Luxeon light with Fraen optics.

If someone build this light, what sort of heatsinking are we looking at? With the sort of heat sink, what is the expected runtime before thermal(safe for Li-Ion say 50c/122F) shutdown? Assuming it is driven at spec. @#$%*@ this sounds like a physics question!!!

Another general question, how many lumens does normal halogen 20watts light bulb put out?

Ok wait till I saved enough for the 5x 5watts..

EDIT: I did not realise that someone has a 3x 5w light, sorry I didn't meant to head on with it.

Vince.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:
5 x 250? How can a 5watts put out 250?? Overdriven? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

X binned 5 watters? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
nukiez,

I have some reservation about practical applications with the setup. My personal experience with Inretech Helios (3x5W) w/Fraeon LP indicated that it's very bright for close-up work (maybe too bright) but don't have enough throw (1W seems to work better with Fraen LP). With 2 more 5W added, 5x5W will be TOO BRIGHT for close-up applications while the throw will still be limited.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
So X binned 5watts makes 5x 250 = ~1250Lumens?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif sorry I can't resist it, I've never played with a 5watt before.

Hmm.. 5x 5watt = $153.. sounds like a HID price.

Quick someone tell me how much does a 20watt halogen bulb puts out...

Vince.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:
Quick someone tell me how much does a 20watt halogen bulb puts out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Roughly 600 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, I think there are three types of Fraen, wide, medium and narrow, which one is the LP? Not much info about the LP at electolumens page.

Yes I op for a long throwing light. If Fraen isn't a suitable optic, perhaps we can look for anyther type?

EDIT: After reading Fraen pdf provided by Aaron, I think a Narrow angle(10deg) Fraen optic will throw better than a Fraen LP.

Vince.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, if i were to do this (and trust me, when i become ritch i'm going to!!!), i would/will use a simple flat heatsink inside the body, and modify the switch assembly to be as short as possible, so the heatsink can be as large as possible.

basically, the heatsink would be a cylindar, probably with a ledge on top to go over the lip of the mag.
since reflectors wouldn't work anyway (and i'm not sure of any optics small enough to fit), i'd just shove all 5 emitters onto the slab and use it as a wall of light.

if that kind of heatsink were used, it would make the flashlight weigh a lot more, but i think it would make thermal management a fairly reasonable issue.
with that kind of power, the light isn't likely to have a very good runtime anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

the only issue i see here, is finding a drill bit long enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nukiez,

Check this pdf file out. There are actually four types of fraen optics, but I doubt you want an elliptical beam pattern. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
lumens per watt on a Halogen depends upon the size of the lamp. Generally the smallest are in the 10-12 lumens/watt range, and the biggest under the right conditions can get past 30 lumens per watt (That is a 900 watt GE HIR), but in general below 500 watts and non-HIR, 20 lumens per watt is the upper limit. (HIR lamps use an IR reflective coating on the inner envelope to reflect IR energy back to the filament and increase output per watt input by limiting the IR output. Good Fluorescents are in the range of 80 lumens per watt, and the best HID can get to 100 lumens per watt,Sodium does better, the best is probably Low Pressure Sodium, which can get to about 150 lumens per watt.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does it means when the lumens and watts get to high range, LEDs get inefficient, and superceeded by lights like HID and etc?

OddOne

Enlightened
Working on the design stage of a six 5-watt lantern style light right now. The regulation part of the process is the biggest P.I.T.A. of the whole process, as it's tough to sync up six current regulators.

oO

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inretech makes a 6 x 5 watt light, the Mega6.

Will 5 Pelican M6 reflectors fit in a Mag head? If not, a new head could be made.

jtice

Flashaholic
Six PR heads???
Holly Crap !!!
Well, theres no way they are fitting in a Mag head.
But if a custom head was made for 6 PR reflector.... WOW!!!

That would burn paint right off the walls.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, a new head would have to be made...
a new huge head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
I built a light with 4 x 5W with the NX-05 optics. It produces a lot of light but the throw is not very far. But within 30 feet it is great. No little beam to have to move to see, it is a huge flood.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Didn't Wayne of Elektrolumens mod a Smith & Wesson Torch with multiple 5 watters?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If money were no object I would mod one of those SLA powered hand held spotlamps (I have one of these in a defunct state waiting for such a mod!)
I've also considered modifying my bike's auxillary lights to LED. Putting four Luxeons in each lamp would give me 40W of solid state power up front! I've considered the idea of changing the main headlight to HID although the 6 inch diameter cowling does not allow for much in the way of electronics!
So there's a dream torch and a dream set of motorbike headlights,both of which would be possible if money were no object!