Non-Tunnel_Vision thrower!

RCLumens

Enlightened
This is not a recommend a light for me question, but rather, a collection of data for those who have had experiences from single emitter thrower flashlights that cast the least amount of tunnel vision in beam prodile at distance. For instance, the Sunwayman T40CS seems to have rings in beam profile, but perhaps this helps with creating a beam profile that doesn"t create a 'tunnel vision' beam profile. Experiences with thrower lights that cast a good beam at distance, or those that DO create tunnel vision should be mentioned here. Perhaps the Surefire with lenses are favored? Please send responss to help others understand the differences on this one. Thank you! RC

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find beams with the TIR lens like the Lx2 an e1b from Surefire still let you see the surroundings.
Aspheric lens lights give me tunnel vision even with those that have a ring in the beam.
The streamlight Supertac did a good job of throwing with spill to see near by.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The LX2 was my dream light until I finally got one. My T20C2 xre-r2 threw further and offered more spill. The TIR doesn't offer enough spill for me. Of course it may be just the thing for tactical purposes or other times you don't really want to light the surroundings.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The newer SR's might be better, but of my own lights, the SR90, especially dedomed, throws a very long and very useful beam...no rings.

The Lambda Light VPT2 I have also throws great, with a big 'ol fat beam, very useful beam profile.

The Crelant 7G5 V2 is another I have that throws like a MoFo, but the beam is nice and wide with good peripheral vision.

The Deerelight ashpheric with 900 pill throws insanely in contrast, but the projected die image is all you SEE.

Some Comparative Beam Shots at a Round Tree ~ 405 Meters from the Lights:

7151341661_10ed733ff9_c.jpg

SR90 DD

7005288054_4992ea3158_c.jpg

Deerelight Aspheric

7005273080_d95950cac8_c.jpg

Crelant 7G5 V2

Given the easy of carry, and the usefulness of the beam profiles, run times, ect....the Crelant is actually one of the most useful lights. The SR90 is the go to light if I need to see more than 500 meters or so, like when doing disaster response, etc. The Deerelight is more like a fun laser pointer, but, can be deadly on a night shoot as a long range targeting light.

Each has its niches.

:D

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good spill and decent throw that I still use is the Pelican7060 led, 170 lumens, decent throw with useable side spill

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Really can't think of a light that'll give a better balance of throw & spill
than a Dereelight DBS using a XM-L emitter w/ smooth reflector.

One of the absolute best all-around medium/long distance beams you can put together.
very functional.

>>> If I had some kind of outdoor weather emergency, I would grab it + a smaller setup in my pocket.

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have a post for you in a few hours that should address your questions. ;)

RCLumens

Enlightened
Awesome:) Looking forward to it. I love the balanced beam of smaller and or flood/triple xml lights, but to sacrifice throw is such a let down... Will keep eyes open for your post turboBB - you've been very helpful on this forum with lots of great info!

af112566

Newly Enlightened
malkoff xm-l hound dog is awesome.good throw and spill.great all-around light!!!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
malkoff xm-l hound dog is awesome.good throw and spill.great all-around light!!!

Excellent light! Love using my HD XM-L head on a MD2 short body! One other light, is a M3X, but in a larger config!

Patriot

Flashaholic
The SR90 is the go to light if I need to see more than 500 meters or so, like when doing disaster response, etc.

+1

The SR90 is certainly unique in the large, single emitter class. It throws really well for an LED but provides a ton of peripheral light as well. With the SR95 soon to ship, it 'ups' the performance level in every aspect over the SR90 and would be a consideration if large lights are included in your spectrum of interest.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Awesome suggestions from everyone and thank you! TurboBB, those beam shots that you posted are great and VERY useful. Anyone that links to this thread in interest should check out the link if haven't done so already.

stallion2

Enlightened
the best balanced throw i've found have consistently been w/ Surefire's TIR's. i would consider the LX2 my borderline dream light however I still dumped another $90 on the FM54 diffuser to make it a little more practical. i've had the M3LT for over a year and just received a UB3T last week and absolutely love the beam profile. i still find that my XR-E based throwers out range the Surefire TIRs but the light isn't nearly as useful.

the SR-90 is in a league of its own. when i use that on the pier i have to stand right at the edge. if i take just a couple steps back the glare from the spill region off the pier and pipes blinds me. its unbelievable how much light it throws and yet there is so much left over for spill. i could swear that light kicks when i fire it up.

i forgot to mention the Eagletac M3XC4. XR-E throw but a good deal of useful spill.

Last edited: