is it possible to use a soundfile....

200fr

Newly Enlightened
Can i use a short sound file in aol to replace:you've got mail"the file is from star track, and warf says"captain, incoming message". I want to use this if i can. any suggestions?

Thanks Jai

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I would guess (don't have AOL) that you could if you just re-named your Star Trek .wav file to whatever is the name of the "You've Got Mail" (sic) .wav file. Go to the AOL directory, (the most current if you've upgraded) and look for a .wav file. The name is probably obvious, like "mail.wav" Change the ".wav" to ".bak" Now put the Star Trek wav in the directory and change its name to mail.wav or whatever it was.

Unless I miss my guess (quite possible, AOL does some weird stuff for no apparent reason sometimes) that should work.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use a custom .wav file for my mail announcement too. It's a Star Trek file that starts with that whistling transporter control panel sound, and then ends with the female computer voice from the Enterprise that says "Incoming subspace signal!"

I don't use AOL though, so I don't know what the procedure to change that .wav file would be. I think MichiganMan got it right though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I don't use AOL anymore, but they had their events listed in the sounds section under control panel (in windows itself). You could assign any wave to AOL events, windows events, etc. You just pick the event itself, and then change the sound/wave listed in a box below.

200fr

Newly Enlightened
ok i have the file off of the floppy i renamed it, then when i go to the sound speech and audio devices under control pannel under the start menu, click on sounds and audio then on the menu bar go to audio and the hilight "you got mail" under the aol section, but i can't get the sound to apply

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I have XP now, still had win98 when I used to do that. Anyway, I just looked to see how different it is and it's about the same. As long as you remember where you put the file on your HD you should be able to browse and select it. Then hit apply and/or okay. That was easiest for me since I never renamed the wave files and used them from directories all over my drive.

When you renamed it, did you keep the extension .wav ? (filename.wav) Also, I THINK the file HAS to be a wave file...and if it's something else it'll have to be converted to wave format before it will work. Heh, back then mp3's weren't even common.

Basically, if the filename and format are correct, you should be able to browse and select it, hit apply and it should be good to go. If that's the case I'm not sure why it wouldn't let you apply it.