D-mini VX Ultra won't change output

topcho

Newly Enlightened
I've had a D-mini VX ultra for about 2 years now. All of a sudden, it is refusing to change the output level. It's stuck on high and turns on and off without any problems. Has anybody had a similar issue?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Never had that problem yet with my Dmini. Might want to check that everything is nice and snug in there...meaning, remove the head and check to see if the LED module has come loose...it simply unscrews from the body. Then remove the tail cap and you'll see that the clicky is held in place by 2 retaining rings. On my sample, there's a black, plastic retaining ring with 2 small dimples and then an aluminum outer retaining ring with 2 notches. Make sure both of those are tightened down as well. While you're at it you might as well clean and lube the threads too. Then throw in a new battery and see if it'll change modes.

The beauty of the Dmini is that you can pretty much disassemble the whole thing very easily. I had to do it to get the Dmini cerakoted.

Hope this helps.

topcho

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, everything looks OK. This light has been pampered; it's never seen any extreme conditions. It looks brand new on the inside and out.
Frankly, I have always found the clicky a bit finicky; never liked it. Thanks.

I'll try it with a RCR123a. It works on an 18650 now.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably locked the light in high mode, it's a feature of the light, but as it seems it acts as a bug most of the time...

Please RTFM, I don't remember it exactly, vbut it's something like click 4 times in 1 second to loch or unlock the light.

topcho

Newly Enlightened
You know I was thinking the same thing. The FM is unfortunately useless- it's one page and doesn't talk about switching between the modes. I'll try the 4 clicks.