Advice needed on driving 16x MC-E light assemblies

KKUSA

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 lamp assemblies that consist of 3 separate boards each. Each board is populated with 4 x Cree MC-E'S with all diodes connected in series, and the 3 boards are connected in series, so thats 16 in series for each assembly. ~120W per assembly.

My power source is a generator that I can get either 50-130v DC , or 120V AC

The original drivers (x4, 1 per assembly) operate on 40-60v DC and output 100-200v for each assembly (16x MC-E's in series)

I burned the original drivers yesterday by accidentally starting the generator with the lamps on. The gen has to start at a higher RPM, which means higher voltage. At starting the DC output is ~90v, and the drivers caught fire.:crazy:

I could drive each assembly with a single driver as the original, or I wouldnt be opposed to re-wiring the assemblies so there are 3 separate drivers per assembly, 1 driver per board.

I guess each board would need a supply of >~54v @700ma, if I go separate drivers per board. If I drive the 3 boards in series as it was, I guess I would need a driver that will do >~160v at @700ma.

I cannot find any reasonable 54v drivers. All I can find are 36v max. I found some MeanWell 54v 120W drivers but they are expensive.

I am looking for recommendations for replacing the drivers, in whatever configuration is cheapest. I have looked all over the web and havent really came across anything. I cant get originals as they were a prototype build, and the company that built them for me is no longer building LED drivers, and they have none to supply.

I have pics of the assemblies if it will help.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. THANKS!!! in advance.

Hoop

Enlightened
~120W per assembly.

Should be about 40 watts per assembly. 54 volts x .7 amps = 37.8 watts.

What do you consider expensive? I am seeing adequate power supplies from meanwell for about $50 USD each at mouser.

Edit: here is a site that has them for $32 each: http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-well-lpf-40d-54-power-supply.html

I am thinking mutiple drivers are going to be the cheapest and easiest solution. Very descriptive post btw. Made it easy to make a recommendation.

Last edited:

KKUSA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that link!!! They have 240w 54v supplies for $84. I can drive 2 complete assemblies off one. Only need 2 of them for the entire project. Thats the cheapest solution so far.

Hoop

Enlightened
I am not sure how you are getting your wattage figures. If you run 2 modules in parallel to a single power supply it would be 54 volts x 1.4 amps = 75.6 watts. If you run all four modules in parallel the power supply would need to be 54 volts and 2.8 amps for 151.2 watts or so.

Meanwell model HLG-185H-54A should suffice in this configuration. It has built in potentiometer so you can dial it down to 2.8 amps. Also it is waterproof. $72 USD at powergate: http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-well-hlg-185h-54a-power-supply.html

Last edited: