4m Thrower lux measurements

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday at a get together in Germany (Ruhr area) we did some lux measurements of the more powerful throwers that people had brought there. We measured at a distance of 4m with DX 200000lux luxmeter (Cer CT1330B). As you can read here, here and here the Meter always seems to read 10-15% too low. The last column of the table shows +15% corrected values. They should be close to what more expensive meters measure. The 100W HID Sanmak was measured at around 10m, but even this is way too close.

throwerluxreadings.png

A few comments:
The Spark SP6 and the LL X21R both have very broad hotspots which is very useful.

The Fenix TK-70 hs a nice beam, but the spill is not very wide. It reminds of the beam of the Armytek Predator, but obviously much brighter.

I did like the SR-90. It's just missing a real low mode.

The TN31 is throws almost as far. The Spill is less bright. The problem in this case was the extremely cold tint, probably beacause of the U2 XM-L.

The Microfire HIDs were very difficult to focus (especially in the backyard of our host) and they have very colorful and irregular hotspots (making the measurement difficult). Unfortunately the different battery packs they offer make a big difference in the output of the light.

My Varapower produced even more lux than I expected. Remember that I have the neutral version. It's also deifnitely much brighter than the SR-90 (and throws more too).

The modded Sterops is a really nice compact thrower and really demonstrates quite well how much better the bigger HIDs throw compared to led lights.

I don't think I need to say too much about the Sanmark :). The star shaped hotspot looks interesting .

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for point out this thread, I missed it somhow,

I added the big 13" Sanmak to the lux collection thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-spotlight-Lux-readings&p=3604977#post3604977

what is the reflector size for SRFB-10F? I can't find info on this light

Thanks, I think that that thread of yours is a very nice reference.

The Sterops (also sold under the name "G&P Scorpion") is a very nice light, built like a tank out of 3-6mmm thick aluminium. It throws very nicely and is very easy to upgrade since it used standard components. The reflector is around 4in in diameter.

Shouldn't you add the Varapower Turbo too? :) At least with the aspheric on? Here's a beamshot compared to a higher-output deft :devil:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Driver,

Thanks for the lux readings. But I see you did a miss on the first three lights. These numbers you have obviously written in kilolux, while the others are in lux.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Driver,

Thanks for the lux readings. But I see you did a miss on the first three lights. These numbers you have obviously written in kilolux, while the others are in lux.

You are corrct, I will correct that later.