Malkoff M61 vs M61W - Better for outdoors?

hawk45

Newly Enlightened
What's the better drop-in for an outdoor light?

Thanks,
Hawk

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer warmer tints in general for outdoors and the current run warm Malkoffs are exceptionally nice.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
the M61 with the Nichia 219 high CRI emitter. Illumination Supply has them, I don't believe theyre on the Malkoff site
This is correct. It's an M61 with a Nichia emitter that is 4500K in temperature at 92 CRI. It's neither warm nor cold, but renders colors beautifully. It is awesome. :)

Edit: see this thread about the Nichia emitter:
Post your Nichia 219 4500k beamshots

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
What he said...
I love my M61W outdoors, but the M61 219 has a touch less yellow to the tint (it looks like a perfect neutral white to me) and colors just pop.
They are both top notch in that regard, but the 219 beam seems to offer a slightly smoother spot-to-spill transition, as well.
If you can get it, go for the 219. If you can't, the M61w is still not a bad way to go. (My M61L HCRI is nearly brown in comparison to either.)

Last edited:

hawk45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I'll check into the 219. I'm sure I try all of them over time. Really looking for an overall good general use to start.
Cheers,
Hawk

thaugen

Enlightened
One more option and my personal favorite...M61N! This one has an XP-G emitter and was sold through Oveready. It is a nice neutral white tint that looks great indoor and out. Plus, as a bonus the M61 reflector is optimized for use with the XP-G (better beam profile than the 219 in my opinion). All that being said, you can't go wrong with any of the Malkoff M61 drop ins!

Last edited:

motigg

Newly Enlightened
To make things a bit more complicated, you might also consider the M61 hCRI. You'd have to find one in the marketplace because I don't think they are sold by any retailers anymore (I believe Illumination Supply sold some a while back). I prefer the hCRI to the 219 because I like warm lights and to my eye the hCRI renders colors better. The 219 renders colors very well but still features a bit of the cool, artificial look common in cooler lights, something like cool fluorescent lighting--colors look pretty good but there's something slightly "off." The 219 is brighter than the hCRI, though (200 lumens vs around probably 160-175 or so). Again, this is the way I perceive it, others may disagree. When I am outdoors, using my light to see in the woods or to spot animals (lots of deer in my neighborhood) I strongly prefer a warm tint, which makes things look "welcoming" and nice while I find that cooler tints make the outdoors look a bit surreal. The 219 is by far the best non-warm emitter I've tried though, and does not induce the creeps the way other coolish emitters do. I'll probably end up selling the 219 and keeping the hCRI, depending on what happens with the package I'm trying to sell/trade right now.

Last edited: