Possible to do emitter swap on Icon Rogue 2?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've got an Icon Rogue 2 (2x AA) and it's a great looking light, but in this day and age, the emitter (Q5?) kinda pales in comparison to current offerings from Cree, Nichia, etc.

So my question is this: what, if any, emitter swap would work on this light? or perhaps could the driver and emitter be changed entirely? perhaps to allow a 2x 14500 Li-ion setup?

It's a beautiful light, but I just wish it was a lot more powerful. heck, the Zebralight SC51 gets ~200 lumens on a single AA.

I really want to update this light to make it keep with the times, ya know?

thanks y'all!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've got an Icon Rogue 2 (2x AA) and it's a great looking light, but in this day and age, the emitter (Q5?) kinda pales in comparison to current offerings from Cree, Nichia, etc.

So my question is this: what, if any, emitter swap would work on this light? or perhaps could the driver and emitter be changed entirely? perhaps to allow a 2x 14500 Li-ion setup?
It takes a driver swap OR 2 LEDs in series direct-driven to eat 2x Li-Ions well.

Heck, take a pair of strap wrenches to the bezel and see what opens. Get the LED you choose on an appropriately-sized PCB, and take a gander at the driver. If a driver on a 10mm or 14mm disc will fit, you're in luck - that's a common format. Go spec shopping, wire 'em in, and you're set.

If you go to an XP-G or XM-L, you will probably need to open up the bottom of the reflector. You should certainly check reflector focus in any case, to get the best beam you can.