retrofitting regular led with amber led.

csx7006

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know how hard it would be to retrofit a flashlight that has a regular cree led and have an amber led installed on it? I am trying to find the perfect cree amber led that is the same as the white in lumems. I wanted something diffrent besides the white led.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know how hard it would be to retrofit a flashlight that has a regular cree led and have an amber led installed on it? I am trying to find the perfect cree amber led that is the same as the white in lumems. I wanted something diffrent besides the white led.

It's tough to quantify brightness of monochromatic LEDs. For one thing, if you shine an amber flashlight into a blue box, the box will be nearly black! Have you tried filters on your LED? White LEDs produce quite a lot of yellow light, so a yellow filter ought to keep much of the output. Amber LEDs have about 1/3 the rated lumens of white LEDs, but they are striking.

How hard: The forward voltage won't match. Some drivers will take this in stride, others will not. You'll need to account for the about 1 volt difference in voltage. You could get Nailbender to build you a P60-sized dropin for about $35, but DIYing it in some other light means you'll need to check how your driver behaves.