Rechargeable Battery Compatibility For 4seven Lights

swampfoxoutdoors

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 foursevens lights and I was wondering what type of rechargeable will work in them. I am some what new to the flash light world so forgive me if this has been hashed out time and time again.

4sevens AA quark mini

4sevens 123 quark mini

4sevens 123X2 tactical

I know that their exist a rechargeable cell for the AA mini that can and will burn up the emitter head if left on turbo mode for large expansions of time. But I never really use it on turbo for more than 5 min if that.

the 123 mini quark-I know they make rcr123 but I don't know which ones are the best and if a protected cell is really that safe in the light.

and the 123x2 tactical light- im assuming has a much higher voltage head than the 123mini but just not sure if rcrs or any other style of rechargeable battery is ok in the light.

I EDC the mini and the 123x2 tactical so a rechargeable option is something I am strongly considering.

I am a fire fighter, first re-sponder and SAR for my county so all of these lights are pressed into service when we get a emergency call at night so I defiantly would like something that will be close to 100% reliable for duration over a 3 hour call.

If y'all can suggest a power cell for each light and a good name brand to buy from (battery and charger) please do.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Moving this to LED flashlight forum where it can get more exposure and where it is more appropriate.

Bill

swampfoxoutdoors

Newly Enlightened
thanks bill!
I am new as you can tell. I thought it being a battery related question I stuck it in the other section. Thanks for moving it for me!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Swampfoxoutdoors!

This is tricky territory when you talk about using Lithium Ion rechargeable cells in the minis. 4Sevens explicitly says that you should not do it, but many folks around here have done it with no ill effects. This is strictly here say (I can't verify the original source) but I have read on this forum where 4Sevens stated that the driver circuit could handle the voltage, it was just the buildup of heat that was the issue with rechargeables in the minis.

If you have decided to do it despite this, I would recommend looking at AW brand rechargeable cells. There are others out there that have been tested to perform about as well, but I only have experience with the AWs and my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. They offer protected cells (which I would highly recommend) and they are widely available.

You'll be looking for AW protected 14500 to run in your mini AA, and a protected 16340 to run in your mini 123.

For your 123^2, you have two options: You can run 2 x 16340 in series, or a single 17670. You will get more run time from the 17670, but it's an additional type of cell you will need to order. Both scenarios will work within 4Seven's stated voltage range for the light.

As for a charger, again this is based solely on my experience, bit I have found the Pila IBC charger to work exceptionally well to charge all of my lithium ion cells.

Some folks running rechargeables in the minis use LiFeP04 cells which have a slightly lower voltage but I don't have any experience with them.

In general, I like using primary lithium cells for lights that will be unexpectedly called into action. I know they will have a charge when I need them and they are very reliable. You might consider keeping at least a few primary cells on hand for all of your lights even if you do get rechargeables for daily use.

Cheers!

-G

swampfoxoutdoors

Newly Enlightened
thanks Geobruin!

I have a number of primary cells I guess you would call it. I keep 2 cr123s at work and a small 12 pack case at home, and believe it or not but the Duracell commercials that you see where they advertise sending fire departments batteries well its very true! Duracell sent our fire department a box that weighed probably 10-15lbs full of AAs AAAs, C cells and D cells, their was probably 90+ batteries in the box! SO as for the AA cells for my light I am good for a long long time!

I guess being a flashaholic I just want to do more and spend more money on the lights I have and use. The 123^2 tactical tends to eat thru a good bit of batteries so I guess that would be the number one flashlight I would need to purchase rechargeable batteries for.