Will Zebralight update its lineup SOON

ridnovir

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight sc51 looks like a nice single AA option. I would buy it if it looked more streamlined like their sc80 lights. SC51 looks exactly like sc50 - what gives? How often does Zebralight updates its models? Does anybody know if sc52 is coming soon (hopefully would ran on 14500 as well)?

low

Enlightened
They seem to be dragging their feet. It takes time to start up an operation I know, but I am now looking for flashlights elsewhere.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Part of the problem with many manufacturers (whether it's cars, computer programs, or flashlights) is that they often change a model when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. This often leads to a newer, yet inferior model vs. the one before. If it's a popular model that works great, and everybody loves it, why change it.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like an SC51w that has the switch of the SC80.

And a better emitter. Either a Nichia 219 or an XM-L T6 neutral.

ridnovir

Newly Enlightened
If it's a popular model that works great, and everybody loves it, why change it.

I do not know about everybody, but to me sc51 looks kind of clunky with that big head and I would love the 14500 compatibility

fnj

Enlightened
Well, color me completely dumfounded. :thinking:

Zebralight has been having an absolute explosion of new models. I've actually been worried that their product development has been too ambitious; their efforts spread too thin. Just for flashlights, never mind headlights, currently we have: SC31, SC31c, SC31F, SC31Fw, SC31w, SC51, SC51c, SC51F, SC51Fw, SC51w, SC80, SC80c, SC80w, SC600, and SC600w - with Q50, Q50w, S5310, S6330, and T5 all scheduled for this year, and S6330B, SC5, and T3 scheduled without a date as yet. Did I miss any? Are you guys kidding?

ridnovir

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight has been having an absolute explosion of new models. I've actually been worried that their product development has been too ambitious; their efforts spread too thin. Just for flashlights, never mind headlights, currently we have: SC31, SC31c, SC31F, SC31Fw, SC31w, SC51, SC51c, SC51F, SC51Fw, SC51w, SC80, SC80c, SC80w, SC600, and SC600w - with Q50, Q50w, S5310, S6330, and T5 all scheduled for this year, and S6330B, SC5, and T3 scheduled without a date as yet. Did I miss any? Are you guys kidding?

Are any of the new ones in the pipeline will uprate sc51? sc5 maybe?

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I do not know about everybody, but to me sc51 looks kind of clunky with that big head and I would love the 14500 compatibility

It's because of the switch. It is still very tiny and short when compared to most AA lights. The SC51 series will also work fine on 14500s just not offically supported.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I would love to get an SC 51 with upgraded switch (like SC 80).
But I don't care about Li Ion support.
The SC51 is very bright on NiMh and for LiIon there is SC31.
I also like the looks of the SC51, a strait tube would be boring.
There are plenty of other lights that looks like that.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most of those new "models" you listed are the same light with a different emitter. Doesn't take a lot of engineering time to put a different emitter into the same light.

As far as completely new models with new bodies we haven't really seen that much. For flashlights' this year there's been just ONE released ... the SC80. There have also been 2 new headlights. 3 new models over an entire year period doesn't seem like that much to me. The rest of the new body lights Zebralight announced seem to be vaporware. Who knows when or if they will ever come out.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight sc51 looks like a nice single AA option. I would buy it if it looked more streamlined like their sc80 lights. SC51 looks exactly like sc50 - what gives? How often does Zebralight updates its models? Does anybody know if sc52 is coming soon (hopefully would ran on 14500 as well)?

I would also be very interested in an AA light styled after the SC80. I really like my SC80. A slimmer AA version would be nice.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are any of the new ones in the pipeline will uprate sc51? sc5 maybe?

I'd rather they bring back the H501w.

SC51 was updated a few months back I believe. Constant current on all levels. Still called the SC51 though.

g.p.

Enlightened
It looks funny in pictures to me, but in real life it's perfection. I may have to buy another since my wife has claimed mine.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather they bring back the H501w.

SC51 was updated a few months back I believe. Constant current on all levels. Still called the SC51 though.

Very minor change. Unnoticeable to most users.

Personally, I prefer a very fast PWM (such as in the Nanj 105c driver) to constant current in my lights. I don't like how the tint on my Zebralight SC600 turns greenish at low brightness settings. With fast PWM the tint stays the same at all brightness settings even if battery life isn't quite as long.

cplusplus

Newly Enlightened
Part of the problem with many manufacturers (whether it's cars, computer programs, or flashlights) is that they often change a model when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. This often leads to a newer, yet inferior model vs. the one before. If it's a popular model that works great, and everybody loves it, why change it.
It's all marketing. Imagine Honda was still selling the 2010 Honda Accord in 2012. No one would want it, even though it's still a great car.

notsofast

Enlightened
Like others have said it looks much better in person, looks good to me. And if it looked funky I would still buy one if it had the functions I liked. They are great lights.

I would still be EDCing mine but I like my Sunwayman V11R hi cri better.