Rechargeable AA Bateries For Camera

Henryseale

Newly Enlightened
Is there any rechargeable AA bateries that will work decently in a digital camera? I have tried numerous Ni-MH 3000Ah batteries that I have bought off of E-bay and they don't last anytime at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Sanyo Eneloops, they are only 2000mAh but probably have higher capacity than the overstated capacity of your ebay cells,

Norm

Shadowww

Banned
Sanyo Eneloops. With a proper charger, they'll last you hundreds of cycles, and on my Canon point-and-shoot I can take well over 300 pics on 1 set of them before I have to recharge it.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best choice

Sanyo Eneloop (HR-3UTGA)
(2.gen), 2000mAh (min. 1900), Cycles max.: 1500, Capacity after 3 years, 75%
Sanyo Eneloop (HR-3UTGB) (3.gen), 2000mAh (min. 1900), Cycles max.: 1800, Capacity after 5 years, 70%
Sanyo Eneloop XX (other name Eneloop Pro) (HR-3UWX), 2500mAh (min. 2400), Cycles max.: 500, Capacity after 1 year, 75%

chargers:

Maha Powerex MH-C9000
Voltcraft IPC-1L

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best choice

Sanyo Eneloop (HR-3UTGA)
(2.gen), 2000mAh (min. 1900), Cycles max.: 1500, Capacity after 3 years, 75%
Sanyo Eneloop (HR-3UTGB) (3.gen), 2000mAh (min. 1900), Cycles max.: 1800, Capacity after 5 years, 70%
Sanyo Eneloop XX (other name Eneloop Pro) (HR-3UWX), 2500mAh (min. 2400), Cycles max.: 500, Capacity after 1 year, 75%

chargers:

Maha Powerex MH-C9000
Voltcraft IPC-1L
1500 cycles is a lot ... You can charge them every day for just over four years before you get to 1500 cycles ... That's a lot of photos.

Best to take a few sets of spare (fully charged) batteries with you as well ... Do a test run on the Eneloops to see how many shots you get from a fully charged set ... Try one set without flash and note the number of shots , then try another set using only flash ... That way you will have the best and the worst scenario ... The other "high" capacity cells that you used are probably not the Low-Self-Discharge type of batteries ... Eneloops have quite a low internal resistance which should mean that your flash will charge more quickly.

I have standardised on the ordinary Eneloops rather than the XX ones ... At the rate I use them , they will outlast me !

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Voltcraft IPC-1L
As a side note, this one is sold under a few different names, such as the LaCrosse BC-700, the Technoline BC 700 or the AccuPower IQ 128.
I'm a pretty content owner of a IPC-1L myself, but in a pinch I don't mind throwing my Eneloops in my Intellicharger i4 v2 either.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Which camera do you have? Does it recommend nimh? I have several older cameras that need a higher voltage to work, alkaline work, but eneloops don't. It is a poor camera so doesn't get used much

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Which camera do you have? Does it recommend nimh? I have several older cameras that need a higher voltage to work, alkaline work, but eneloops don't. It is a poor camera so doesn't get used much

I used my Eneloops in an old, plastic HP cheapy. Since the Eneloops keep their voltage relatively high longer than a lot of other NiMHs, it worked reasonably well. When I gave the camera to my mother a few weeks ago, I told her to just use alkalines to avoid having to have the "battery talk" with a technophobe. ;)

But indeed, YMMV wildly depending on the camera.

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
Varta 2800 maH charged on a H-C9000 at 500 ma have powered my Nikon Coolpix without issue. The Eneloops 2000 maH tend to run out sooner but last longer in storage with a packed away camera. Depends on what you need; instant pickup and go or stamina.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I have the canon powershot sx150 and I just got done with 2 all day events and I filmed video too, the eneloops were more than enough power and I didn't even finish the 1 set of eneloops. I didn't take that many pics but I did take some video, but still they lasted the day without dying.