Quark AA2 ok, but I need a wider beam

gg108

Newly Enlightened
So I just purchased the Quark AA2 after reading all the postings on the Forum. All in all, a solid light ... problem is I need a wider beam.

How far the light can throw is less important to me than having a wide beam illuminating the path where I walk. Because snakes and scorpions are a real possibility on these paths, and so a wide beam would help me in spotting them.

I hold the flashlight about waist high while walking. At that height, the Quark's beam is still too tightly focused for my liking.

Any guidance on alternatives? I would like to stay with AA batteries, just like the Quark uses.

Thanks.

ico

Enlightened
I think the next best is the Quark X AA². It has an XM-L which produces a wider beam rather than the AA² only

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the next best is the Quark X AA². It has an XM-L which produces a wider beam rather than the AA² only

+ 1 for the Quark X recommendation

D25A2 Clicky with XML has an even wider beam. Small reflector, large LED, super wide beam, little throw.

TheCleanerSD

Newly Enlightened
I use the Fenix AD401 flip-up diffusor (original model with black outer ring) on my Quark AA2-X. Works Great. Available on ebay.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try putting a piece of scotch tape or something over the lens and see if that helps. It will cut down on output, but also give you a very nice floody beam. There is also diffusing material on sale in the marketplace and it seems pretty efficient (not much output loss).

If you don't need much throw past a few yards, the Zebralight H51 could work. No reflector, so it's a pure flood light. It is an angle light though, so it could be a bit awkward to hold as a flashlight.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I use the Fenix AD401 flip-up diffusor (original model with black outer ring) on my Quark AA2-X. Works Great. Available on ebay.
A diffuser is definitely the way to go. While there are some lights that a slightly wider spillbeam, the Quark is actually pretty good in that regard already. You will likely need to try the diffuser route.

In addition to the above, Olight used to make a diffuser cover that fit their T10/T15/T20/T25 (or I10/I15/I20/I15) lights. It is also fits over the Quarks perfectly. You can also still find it on eBay.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Buy some diffusion film on the marketplace. The stuff works great and supposedly output loss is only around 3.2%.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need much throw past a few yards, the Zebralight H51 could work. No reflector, so it's a pure flood light. It is an angle light though, so it could be a bit awkward to hold as a flashlight.

You mean the H502? Then again H51 has a reflector and about a hotspot of 11 degree at 6m. I just got a H51w and the hot spot is nice and pretty well spread at distance.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA2 Turbo. Bigger head, wider beam. You can even opt to just order the Turbo AA2 Head only and you can interchange it with your current Quark AA2's smaller head.

A diffuser is good, but since you hold it down waist level, the light coming from the diffuser might blind you and all the more you wont be able to watch out for snakes and scorpions.

Good thick safety boots and thick overalls might be the key should you step on those nasty critters. hehe :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA2 Turbo. Bigger head, wider beam. You can even opt to just order the Turbo AA2 Head only and you can interchange it with your current Quark AA2's smaller head.

Eh? The Turbos are throwers - large head, more focused beam and concentrated hotspot. Larger the emitter and smaller head are floody - ie, XML in small standard head.

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
Lighting the path ahead of you, from your next step on out to 20 or 30 feet, all illuminated to the same lux level. That to me makes for a good path light. Most of my (small collection) of lights I have don't quite do that. I find it is mostly an issue in having a wide enough spill to catch the next step ( holding the light at waist level and aiming down the trail) Most will fall short of the next step, and drop the spill about 2 steps out. I find this more the issue than the size of the hot spot; get a shallow reflector for wider spill angle.

A couple that get closest in my collection are the ITP (& Olight) A2 & A3 (I2 & I3). They get about to the toe of my next step.
The full flood of a no-reflector 'mule light' works great. (edit; to clarify, the full flood works great to light the next step but isnot ideal for 20+ feet out) I have made a few of these. ( a diffuser will accomplish this as well) I don't have any of the floody zebra lights but they would seem to fit the requirements as well.

Last edited:

anethema

Newly Enlightened
If you like your AA I second getting the XML version. The spill is quite a bit wider. I had the turbo one even which has a smaller spill and it was huge. The non turbo head must have a huuge spill beam.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh? The Turbos are throwers - large head, more focused beam and concentrated hotspot. Larger the emitter and smaller head are floody - ie, XML in small standard head.

Hmmm, i own both, and yes its a bit of a thrower, but the spill is wider than my regular Quark AA2 head.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighting the path ahead of you, from your next step on out to 20 or 30 feet, all illuminated to the same lux level. That to me makes for a good path light. Most of my (small collection) of lights I have don't quite do that. I find it is mostly an issue in having a wide enough spill to catch the next step ( holding the light at waist level and aiming down the trail) Most will fall short of the next step, and drop the spill about 2 steps out. I find this more the issue than the size of the hot spot; get a shallow reflector for wider spill angle.

A couple that get closest in my collection are the ITP (& Olight) A2 & A3 (I2 & I3). They get about to the toe of my next step.
The full flood of a no-reflector 'mule light' works great. (edit; to clarify, the full flood works great to light the next step but isnot ideal for 20+ feet out) I have made a few of these. ( a diffuser will accomplish this as well) I don't have any of the floody zebra lights but they would seem to fit the requirements as well.

The mule light reminds me of led lenser when you have the head positioned for wide beam. Hey, you might want to consider the Led Lenser P14 or M14 (whatever!) it has the flattest, even, wide beam and runs off AA cells. Just forget about regulation (on the P14) and IPX8 rating! haha!

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
Per Selfbuilt's beamshots in the reviews, looks like the Quark AA2 has one of the widest spill beams; ...a tough one to beat. I will be interested to see what you decide to do and please followup on how it works out.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, i own both, and yes its a bit of a thrower, but the spill is wider than my regular Quark AA2 head.

Yeah, I have both too. Guess I was thinking more about the width of the hotspot beam for seeing stuff like what the OP mentioned - snakes and scorpions. For me, the concentrated hotspots on the throwers can be actually be overpowering making the spill less useful.

anethema

Newly Enlightened
It is a lot fatter light, but the S12 is reputed to have a massive hot spot and massive spill. It will also do like 14 hours on 120 lumens.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have both too. Guess I was thinking more about the width of the hotspot beam for seeing stuff like what the OP mentioned - snakes and scorpions. For me, the concentrated hotspots on the throwers can be actually be overpowering making the spill less useful.
'

Yeah, on that note, i took out my P14 for a spin this evening, nothing beats the wideness and even flood beam. I guess this ol' shelf queen can still amaze me. Too bad its a hard sell these days. :)

UPDATE: I took my LL P14, Quark AA2 and Fenix TK35 outside to check. The Quark AA2 has a spill of about 25-30 feet across when measured from a distance of about 15 feet away. The P14 beats this spill with a wider flood of about 30+ feet close but still beat the Quark AA2 (i only realized it now how wide the spill is!) Anyhow, for argument's sake, i tried the TK35, which has a tighter beam and smaller (but way brighter) spill. I'll go out again later and bring both the Turbo and the Turbo X lights :)

Last edited:

anethema

Newly Enlightened
Try a S12 too :D. SST90=huuuuge hot spot. Should blow the doors off just about anything in that dept, and be of comparable brightness.