*new* Fenix PD22- LD22- LD12- PD32 with S2 led.

kj2

Flashaholic
Just seeing this on the fenix website.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=124
nl8vut.jpg

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=123
9fphg9.jpg

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=122
2w4k4eq.jpg

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=121
2nknb0k.jpg

Last edited:

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Cool. Seems like a lite refresh of the existing models. However, XP-G (S2) is not the same as XP-G2 which should be better. It's a same that Fenix did not use those instead.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Seems like a lite refresh of the existing models. However, XP-G (S2) is not the same as XP-G2 which should be better. It's a same that Fenix did not use those instead.

I agree. The improvement of brightness is not even noticable compared to R5 emitter. So if G2 is even better and already is in production I find no reason to use S2.
But now I am only talking about efficiency. More important is tint, in my opinion. Therefore I would like to know if there is a general difference of tint between R5, S2 and G2.

CyberCT

Enlightened
yea I'm disappointed in Fenix. Why on earth would they want the S2 over the XP-G2?! I'm not interested. Hopefully once the XM-L2 comes out they will use that to update their lights instead of something more efficient than the U2.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
They seem to advertise it as a special edition. It's probably just a limited run to sell their new LD12/22 PD22/32 series with an upgraded LED even if not the latest and most efficient. Let's not forget that the XP-G R5 LD12/LD22/PD22 only came out from February to April this year. I doubt they would go for a major LED upgrade for that line so soon or they might have trouble selling their R5 stock. To see a real upgrade in the LED - and hopefully some of the features - we'll probably have to wait the end of the year or the beginning of 2013.

larcal

Newly Enlightened
The led upgrade idea is new to me. Love my new ld20 and ld22. Will I be able to change the Led in it and how? Illumination Supply for one has the XP-G2 tho don't know if right size. Anyway, is this easily done? Doesn't look at first glance like comes out without prying which seems dangerous.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
there will be the XP-G2 upgrade, maybe next year, i am sure. no need to buy the S2 now.
120 lumens on 1x AA?

my little 1xAAA keychain light can do 120 lumens with Eneloop AAA :)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The led upgrade idea is new to me. Love my new ld20 and ld22. Will I be able to change the Led in it and how? Illumination Supply for one has the XP-G2 tho don't know if right size. Anyway, is this easily done? Doesn't look at first glance like comes out without prying which seems dangerous.

Definitely doable. The XP-G2 shares the same footprint as the XP-G as does the Nichia 219. I just swapped the 219 into my PD32 tonight, the Fenix is glued pretty tight but still not bad to open.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news for me. My goal was to get a simple and consistent user interface with all my lights. I first purchased the Fenix T15 in 2010 and stayed away from their other lights because of the clicky/twisty UI. Now with the simpler UI I immediately purchased the PD32 and PD22. I almost also went with the LD22 and LD12 but the AA lights just don't have the brightness compared to the lithium and lithium ion. I'm very, very happy with my new purchases.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Have only had my Fenix LD12 S2 for a couple days now, but I'm finding the 3 lm (low) really useful.
The 120 lm (Turbo) I have found to be plenty bright enough for me.

Was thinking of getting the PD22 S2 because it's pretty much the same size light, but a little shorter because it uses the CR123. I think I would miss not having a 3 lm setting and 200 lm turbo would be fun but more then likely over kill for me and not something I would have much use for.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Well the LD22, LD12, PD22, and PD32 all in xp-g2 R5 emitter are all officially up on Fenix's website:

http://www.fenixlight.com/%5Cnewping.asp

Awesome news, thanks!

I have EDC my LD12 S2 since I first got it around 9/28/2012 and I don't think a day goes by that I don't use it.
Last week I was going to order a second one from BrightGuy, but the S2 was out of stock and I just about pulled the trigger on one at ebay, but decided to wait for BrightGuy to get some more in. Now I will be waiting and watching for the new xp-g2 version instead, thanks again!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the fact that they haven't driven the XP-G2 emitters too hard and have kept a very good balance between reasonable brightness and excellent runtimes!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am sure that they didnt change anything in the circuitry of relevance.
all they did was swapping the emitter.
i guess!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That could be a good sign - maybe they are focusing on something different like a new design with a new UI?:twothumbs
Just dreaming, I'll go back to my old LD/PD/TK lights now!

appliancejunk

Enlightened
i am sure that they didnt change anything in the circuitry of relevance.
all they did was swapping the emitter.
i guess!

The new Fenix PD22 G2 has a new low rating of 3 lums/120 hours.
http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=140

The Fenix PD22 S2 had a low rating of 8 lums/97 hours.
http://brightguy.com/Fenix/Fenix+PD22+S2+LED+Flashlight

Does that mean they did something different with the circuitry?

I like the 3 lums low setting on my LD12 S2 (1xAA) over the 8 lums low setting on the PD22 and it's the main reason I EDC the LD12 and not the PD22.
Now if the new PD22 G2 really does have a new low setting of 3 lums then I may have to give one a try.

Anyone have these new Fenix G2's in stock yet?

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in the US some online stores have had them available for pre-order for a couple of weeks before they were officially announced by Fenix, check in the CPF marketplace, I'm sure somebody might have them for sale already. As for the 3 lumens on Low, they might have tweaked the circuitry or the ANSI rating for the XP-G2 R5 might have gotten different results compared to the XP-G S2. Somebody here on CPF might review the light and measure the lumens output but it might be weeks or months before that happens so if you want a quick answer, you might as well send Fenix a mail and ask them directly.