Peak El Capitan questions (I just got this one)

syph007

Newly Enlightened
I heard good things about peak flashlights so I ordered a black anodized aluminum El Cap. It just arrived today.

Is this normally how the light comes in package with no printed materials?

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

It looks like a bad fit up for the bezel and alot of the anodize is chipped off. Am I being picky or is this common?

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

Is this normal, or should I contact their support. Its my first Peak so I dont know what to expect. I'll add the light functions perfect its just the bezel and finish that looks not perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

I retract my previous statement, just looked at an old HA Eiger and it doesn't look anything like your El Cap.
The slight damage around the bezel isn't really noticeable to the naked eye.

eiger1.jpg
eiger2.jpg

Also see Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Last edited:

syph007

Newly Enlightened
OK thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt sent a refurb or something by accident. In the package there were small aluminum particles too, it just gave me an unsure feeling about what I got.

I thought I did convert those to 800by600, I must have picked 1024.

af112566

Newly Enlightened
ive had my problems with peak.and that doesnt look good to me.

Empire

Banned
Oversize images - Quote removed - Norm

I would give them a call and or send it back.
They are located in Phoenix,Az

Last edited by a moderator:

bansuri

Enlightened
That looks awful, I'd send it back. Mine have always had a card insert in the packaging and have looked beautiful.
I've gotten better looking lights used off marketplace.
Something is amiss.

Empire

Banned
That looks awful, I'd send it back. Mine have always had a card insert in the packaging and have looked beautiful.
I've gotten better looking lights used off marketplace.
Something is amiss.
Depending on where he bought it it may be a clone.

syph007

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Ive sent them an email with my pictures, so we'll see what they say. I would think this wouldnt pass QC, but I didnt know exactly what to expect. I like the continuous variable part though, pretty neat. Now Im wondering if I should have picked a stainless or brass model though.

Empire

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Ive sent them an email with my pictures, so we'll see what they say. I would think this wouldnt pass QC, but I didnt know exactly what to expect. I like the continuous variable part though, pretty neat. Now Im wondering if I should have picked a stainless or brass model though.
Pick lights are custom there's really no such thing as quality control they are individually looked at when they are made.

archimedes

Flashaholic
That also does not look like the standard optic (for the narrow/medium) ... ?

Did you ask for a custom diffuser or wide optic version on your order?

peakfreak

Newly Enlightened
I would have been disappointed with the cosmetics of that one too, but the truth is even if you got a perfect one, that black coating will rub off over time. I would return it for an uncoated model.

yeah totally curious about that honey-comb optic. Please post here what they say about that!

I have 2 brass El Caps, one wide one narrow and really love them. Mine are non qtc versions with momentary switches which are great.

maybe you should return it and order through Bob. He is more reachable for sure: http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/El Capitan.html

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
That also does not look like the standard optic (for the narrow/medium) ... ?

Did you ask for a custom diffuser or wide optic version on your order?

i thought the el capitans were discontinued because they couldnt source the optics.
i also thought the optic looked different.... which explain why the el capitan is back

i had to return a peak eiger before, it was many months before i saw it again.
calling them would be better, Robin picks up the phone most the time. except during lunch time:wave:
customer service was great, just have to have patience.

syph007

Newly Enlightened
They are shipping me out a new one with a prepaid return envelope to send back this one. So, so far the support seems great as he got back to me promptly. I'll update with some comparison shots when I get the new one.

Thanks all for the advice.