Nitecore IFE2 review

totone51

Newly Enlightened
i bought an IFE2 a few months ago and thought I'd share my impression of this light. Overall the light is as expected, high quality, bright and the magnetic control ring works as advertised. I was trying to find one flashight that could serve many purposes from looking for something in a closet to walking the dogs or camping for a weekend all the way up to tatical use. I'm happy to say that this light does it all very well. I have tried 3 types of batteries, 2 work well and one does not . An 18650 rechargable works great and has become the only one I use. CR123's work well also, RCR123's are too long and it is almost impossible to close the tailcap. My previous EDC was a gander mountian GSX220, so I will compare the two. Throw A big surprise here, the GSX220 wins easily. The GSX throws a smaller tighter beam quite a bit farther. The IFE2 throws much more light in a wider more usable pattern. The GSX will light up a doorway while the IFE2 will light up the whole front of the building. Pocket carry The GSX just makes it for pocket carry, the IFE2 is a little too big for me and I carry it on my belt. tail stand GSX so - so but it will, IFE2-no. Battery The IFE2 uses several types while the GSX is limited to only cr123's. Light levels The IFE2 excells here with the adjustable ring, GSX has 2 levels. I think both lights are excellent for the cost (GSX $29-39) (IFE2 over $100). I like the IFE2 enough to buy the IFE1 soon, trouble is when I tell someone that I am buying another flashlight they think I'm nuts and don't need another flashlight - (but I do) I hope this helps someone.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

i dont have any experience with those lights but the IFE2 has had my interest for awhile now.
i do recall the IFE1 not being as well liked as the IFE2, so you might want to check out some threads about it.
there are a few other lights from different brands with control rings that are popular here. might want to check those out too.
thanks for the review

cyclesport

Enlightened
Congrat's on your new light...glad you're enjoying it! Sounds like "light addiction" is staring to set in. I've been looking at newly updated NiteCore Infilux IFE1 XM-L myself.

My guess is shorter protected RCR123 (16340) cells like AW's or EagleTac's would probably fit if you're inclined/intent on have a third battery pick, but your 18650's are a solid choice. I think you're about to become a little poorer...