Swapping 2x AA body for 1x AA body?

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
I bought a cheap, $3.49 shipped, 1x AA light off ebay, Mini CREE LED Flashlight 3W 300LM Torch. No surprise it does nothing close to 300LM on a single NiMH AA, and I don't want to add a new battery chemistry to our house yet, so instead of a 14500 I was thinking of trying to find a 2x AA body I could use instead of the 1x AA body. Both ends of the "battery tube" have the same threads, either end will screw into the head or tail switch (one end of tube isn't anodized or whatever for electrical contact with tail), so I am hoping it may be some generic AA size.

Any suggestions on finding a 2x AA battery tube or the wisdom of using it?

I was thinking of buying a 2 or 3 "generic" cheap 2x AA lights and swapping parts if possible.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuo are shooting looong with this but I would suggest getting the Tank Tk556 etc battery extender or the Ultrafire C2 extender...

but unless you are positive it will fit it will a risky spending of money

yazovyet

Enlightened
Are you intending to put new electronics in the the light or just run extra voltage to whats there and hope it makes it brighter? If the second is what ypu plan to do then you might want to get a pisece of wire and check it out first with 2 batteries so you know if it blows the light or makes it brighter before you go to the trouble of buying anything.

If you plan to run new electronics then all I can say is that I personally don't like 2AA lights because I find the drivers are either inefficient at medium and low or fairly expensive (and I havnt tried those so maybe they're inefficient too).

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
I did a "little" looking, found nothing less than about $15 that used a "similar" looking body. I'm thinking I should be OK with a tail cap extension, thats a more common part?

So far its cheaper to buy something else, one of the $15 to $20 lights.

One of the Ultrafire I think it was lights came with an extension for using either 2x AA or a single lithium (18650?).

What started my looking was this little light is nice, claims 300LM, and nothing close on a single AA, but I'm thinking maybe its speced for a 14500?

I agree with the test with a wire and a extra battery, OTOH if it poofs, then I guess I would be planning on new pill. ;)

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
Found a Cree C2 extension at DX for $4.04 shipped, or about $12 for whole flashlight, sounds like there could be thread pitch issue with other lights.

Putting this idea on hold, back to buying more lights. ;) Nicest so far should be arriving soon.