Place to buy computer cases ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I need a place to get a couple cheap metal or silver colored computer cases.
I will be bolting these two cases togeter as one, yes I know im nuts.
So, the front needs to be real flat, no curved or rounded edges.

Anyone know any places to get a case like that?

Thanks.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice and I had a chat about this last night. You only need one case, if it has enough drive bays. Also pay attention to the specs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ebay of course.

DrJ, that one is similar to the one I have. Sold out though.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks for the input guys.

I think I am going to go with just one case. NO, not cuz Charles said so, he should know by now I'm all about overkill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I mainly wanted more than 4 external 5.25" bays, for fan controllers, switchs, displays and such.

I will be overclocking a P4 3GHz 800MHz Bus CPU in this badboy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Of Course, its out of stock right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
But, I'm not planning on getting it till around X-Mas anyway.

Heres the case I want,,, so far. I have officially seen every case on the net. 95% of them SUCK.
http://www.svc.com/xiimiw35psub.html

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Thanks a lot, jtice--now I want one of those cases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

One thing that I didn't like about these cool cases are that the drive colors rarely ever match the case. Does that bother you guys? This case has the two drop down doors to keep color consistency, but that's only on two (of four) of the 5.25 bays. I've seen some of those colored faceplates to put over the existing drives, but don't know how those would look.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of bolting two together why not just make one. My last two non laptop systems I have made myself. This (warning dial up users, big pic) http://www.ninefamily.com/Projects/Mp3/v2.3/Picture005.jpg is my latest creation with the top removed and the drive mount swiveled up. It has a mini-itx form factor and a CD-CD power supply and a laptop hdd. Aluminum is pretty easy to work with.

jtice

Flashaholic
I thought about doing that,,, but, I dont think I can cut the bay slots as nice as I want them.

And, it would probably not really be chaep, sence I would have to buy all the rails and such.

I dont know what to do, I'm going crazy.

Theres just no cases cheap enough, that will look good bolted togeather.

I just wish the one i linked to above, had one more 5.25" and 3.5" bay, for the fan controllers and displays I want to use.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 sideways 3.5 drive bays, 3 external 3.5 drive bays, and 6 5.25 bay in the Lian Li PC70 case. Gawd! I thought 12 bays was alot in my Supercase Fulltower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

TheFire

Enlightened
For a plain vanilla, fairly cheap case, the Inwin Q500 and it's bretheren are VERY nice cases. Fairly easy to mod, and comes appart and gos back together like a dream. 5x5.25, 1x3.5... it's great for a not too expensive case... but if you're looking at something in that pricerange, it's probably not what you want...

jtice

Flashaholic
DrJ,

That all AL real large one was actually one I was looking at. Really liked the size. But its way out of my price rrange. I really cant spend more than $80 for a case and power supply.

I CAN get a huge case cheap, but they are UGLY !!!!!!!!
I cant stand to get one of those plain old things you would see stuffed in a server closet.

I'm mainly worried about running out of 5.25" bays.
Sence I want a couple drives, a digital fan controller, card reader, and probaly a switch unit.

I like the cube cases,,, but all of them are ugly as heck. BIG though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I thought about doing that,,, but, I dont think I can cut the bay slots as nice as I want them.

And, it would probably not really be chaep, sence I would have to buy all the rails and such.

I dont know what to do, I'm going crazy.

Theres just no cases cheap enough, that will look good bolted togeather.

I just wish the one i linked to above, had one more 5.25" and 3.5" bay, for the fan controllers and displays I want to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to cut bay slots. 5.25" drives stack right on top of each other, use premade aluminum bar or angle for the sides. You don't need rails either, use bar or angle stock up and down the sides of the drives and drill holes where the screws need to be. I made one myself in college but have since bought a small rack so all my stuf gets rack mounted now.

democopy

Newly Enlightened
From Soyo website:
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=196

CX-5959
Full size ATX computer chassis with sleek black/silver design, featuring top handle for easy transportation, front USB ports, future expandability and versatility. Perfect for LAN gamers!
Expansion Slots
7 expansion slots in the back
USB Description
2 USB ports offering easy front access
LED Description
Power on and HDD LED indicators
Drive Bays
5.25' External * 4
3.5" External * 1 / Internal * 2
Easy Access Features
Unique top handle design makes going to LAN parties easy and trouble free!
2 front USB ports. No more reaching to the back of the computer!
Power Supply
300W UL AMD Compatible Power Supply
Cooling System
1 x 100 MM fan, receptacle, rear
Dimension Description
44 cm (H) x 19 cm (W) x 50 cm (D)

Certification
FCC Class B & CE EMI Regulation CompliantPC98 Compliant
Compatibilities

Compatible With
All SOYO DRAGON motherboards
Flex-ATX motherboards
Full size ATX motherboards
Warranty
All SOYO products are designed to offer stability and flexibility, and are tested to ensure highest reliability. We offer a 1 year limited warranty on this SOYO product.