Comparison outdoor white to cool?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any beamshot comparisons of white v. outdoor white.

From the beamshots I do find, I would rule out warm for real color rendering, anything near daylight. The neutral make red and brown look better, and are probably the best balance. Though some of the beam shot of the neutrals, show a sever drop in illumination with the neutrals, perhaps making it harder to see detail of things at a distance. But the cools do look way better than the cools of 2005 or generic leds.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the cools do look way better than the cools of 2005 or generic leds.

I have some 5000-5500k generic XP-Gs (not sure of the exact bin) and their color rendering is light years better than any cool-white LED I've ever seen circa 2007 or older.

As I recall out-door whites are supposed to keep the same visible flux level compared to standard cool whites while lowering the CCT to 5000-4000k, correct? I'm more curious as to the difference between out-door whites -vs- ANSI, or is it just labeling. Anyways, if you look at the spectrums of ANSI / Outdoor whites -vs- standard whites it's obvious there's some deviation in either amber or orange-red, which makes sense because the only way to make the LED brighter is to make the phosphor coating thinner, correct? That costs you CRI. Not sure if it's amber or red that's being reduced, but I suspect it's amber.

Flash lights aside, Cree is targeting industrial halide replacement with the out-door whites, and those tend to hover in the 65 CRI range. I haven't used the out-door white's in a flashlight, but I'm tested the ANSI versions for other applications and found the color rendition (or lack of it) not worth the lumen gain. The difference between a 80-85CRI neutral and an ANSI is pretty extreme from an eyeball perspective. We're talking 'mule kick' category.

I would suspect that the color differences between the two would hit you more from a subjective / perceptual standpoint than being able to record with a digital camera. Since the colors we're dealing with and trying to show with beam shots are lying between the green and red filters on a digital camera it might be tough to show -vs- describe. Worth a shot though, but my money's on anything not trying to emulate a 65 CRI halide no matter how bright it is.