Brand new Lumintop ED20 fails out of box!

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
So I pulled the trigger on the Ed20 in T5 Neutral. It arrived today from hkequipment and immediately failed on me out of the box, brand new. As soon as I entered high mode, the light started to flicker consistantly to varying degrees (not PWM). If I leave it on high for a bit, it seems to get better. I have cleaned all the threads and contact points with 70% rubbing alcohol, and checked to make sure the switch inside the tail cap was screwed in tight. I believe the switch might be faulty, what else could there be? I'm new to flashlights, so I might have overlooked something.

There is also a very slight movement with the circuit board located in the head. This movement, although very slight, makes me a little uneasy. Is this normal? I hope Selfbuilt still follows up on his older threads. :mecry: Can someone confirm this slight movement with me? Contacting Lumintop regarding these problems, I will post updates to their customer service.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the couple reverse switches I've ever had gone bad this is how it went, I've had a couple Fenix switches do the same thing. Have you taken the switch out and then reinstalled, sometimes that actually works. With the tailcap off have you tried using a paper clip to contact the negative battery post and the bare metal on the lip of the body threads, try it as steady as you can and see if you have any flickering. Do you have any other light you can temporarily swap switches, most of these type switches work in different light's as long as the board fits in the tailcap, you can try a reverse or forward switch just to check out the light.

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
Of the couple reverse switches I've ever had gone bad this is how it went, I've had a couple Fenix switches do the same thing. Have you taken the switch out and then reinstalled, sometimes that actually works. With the tailcap off have you tried using a paper clip to contact the negative battery post and the bare metal on the lip of the body threads, try it as steady as you can and see if you have any flickering. Do you have any other light you can temporarily swap switches, most of these type switches work in different light's as long as the board fits in the tailcap, you can try a reverse or forward switch just to check out the light.

Thanks for the help jhc. It's a very slight flickering, so I had difficulty ruling out the switch by bypassing it with a paperclip. Couldn't tell if the flickering during bypass was caused by my unsteady hands, or something else. I disassembled the tail cap assembly, used some q-tips with alcohol to clean up the threads/contact points, and then reassembled everything. I think it improved a bit. That loose circuit board in the head assembly still concerns me a little. This is my first Lumintop, so maybe it's normal to the brand. But my Fenix and Olight lights have a sturdy board that sits inside the head rigidly. The movement is 1mm when depressing the board into the head with my finger. It just doesn't seem right. It makes me think of some buffoon mounting this ED20 as a weapon light and then damaging the board with the weight of the battery after each recoil. Maybe I got a second hand buffoon light? :thinking:

Should Lumintop be able to send me a spare switch? Would hate to have to mail it to them and wait for weeks as they are in Hong Kong, not mentioning of the light making a disappearance in transit. Anyone have any experience with their customer service? Where is the serial number on the light? Can't seem to find it. Aren't they usually supposed to be on the head?

Thanks for the support.

Edit: I don't have any other reverse switches to swap out.