Rotary AAA? What light am I thinking of????

SamF

Newly Enlightened
I could use a little help. I read about a billion threads on AAA lights here trying to narrow down what I might want. What I do not want is a light that I have to twist on/off/on to change levels.

I thought there was one that went lo/med/hi/med/lo as you turned it but now I can't figure out what it was. Or maybe I made it up? Maybe it wasn't AAA? Clueless.

Can anyone help me out here? :duh2:

TIA, SamF

Racer

Enlightened
I would consider the Ti more of a two-stage than a true rotary. It would be awesome to have a light like the V11R in the size of an AAA light.

Or maybe you're thinking of one of those lights with the QTC material? Or the Titan? I'm an AAA fiend, and I'd love to have a true rotary in AAA format. If you find one, let me know :)

fyrstormer

Banned
There are no AAA-powered control-ring lights at this time. I doubt there will be, because the control-ring mechanism uses enough power that the limited power of an AAA battery would be limiting, and the control-ring mechanism adds enough bulk to cancel the weight benefit of using such a small battery.

The Peak Eiger is about as close as you'll get. It uses QTC material to achieve something resembling infinite adjustability.

SamF

Newly Enlightened
Well maybe I did make it up.

Actually I don't think it was a true rotary but rather a twist head that had 3 levels from low to hi.

I'm probably making that up too.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, magnetic infinitely variable ring AAA = world's shortest runtime flashlight (for any given range of lumens).

blub

Enlightened

Actually I don't think it was a true rotary but rather a twist head that had 3 levels from low to hi.

I have a stainless 4 Sevens Preon Revo low medium and high, awesome light!

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
MBI Torpedo, yet to be released.

There are no AAA-powered control-ring lights at this time. I doubt there will be, because the control-ring mechanism uses enough power that the limited power of an AAA battery would be limiting, and the control-ring mechanism adds enough bulk to cancel the weight benefit of using such a small battery.

TGWNN seems to pretty serious about the one he is developing (and he is taking the time to get it "right"). The current usage of the control ring may be significant at lower levels (or it may not), that remains to be seen. It has been an issue for some existing control ring lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...A-Flashlight-(photos)-Work-In-Progress-Part-2

fyrstormer

Banned
It's an inherent weakness in the design. Control-ring lights have to continuously monitor the position of the ring and calculate the appropriate output level based on that position, and it takes power to drive that extra circuitry. It may not require a *huge* amount of power, but you won't see the kind of "runs for a month on moonlight mode" runtimes that are possible from fixed-setting drivers.

Personally, I still think the tradeoffs are greatly in favor of using a control ring -- but not with an AAA power source. For AAAs, I prefer single-mode only; it makes the best use of the limited power AAAs offer, and there is no extra bulk to ruin the size advantage.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Not AAA, but the Ra Twisty (CR123A & others) has three progressive (& programmable) output levels.

The Muyshondt Mako is AAA, but only has two twisty levels. The Aeon Mk II (not yet released) is a CR2 which will have three progressive twisty levels.

Last edited:

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
SamF You might be thinking of the Nitecore SENS AA (not AAA). It is capable of the sequence you mentioned by "turning" the flashlight to different angles.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
SamF You might be thinking of the Nitecore SENS AA (not AAA). It is capable of the sequence you mentioned by "turning" the flashlight to different angles.

Actually you have to start it in high while aiming the light straight up in order for the automatic sequence thing to work, but you get the idea.

SamF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies.

I am thinking that maybe it was not a AAA after all - might have been another size. Lesson learned: make notes when reading through tons of posts for research!

I guess I will check out the Thrunite as the LiteFlux LF2x seems to be a bit of unobtainium.