Is the Eagletac D25LC It?

StylesTW

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm interested in buying a D25LC but I can't find an official store that sells one with the XP-G2 emitter, only the XP-G S2.

Which emitter has the best beam/light distance and flood/diffused light? I want to use this light for outdoor/hiking which requires some flood to navigate in the woods but need some throw if I want to see or spot something far, 100+ yards away.

Would this flashlight and emitter fit the application?

Thanks.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically, the beam type for throw, and the beam type for flood, are somewhat mutually exclusive.
However there are some lights which can do both fairly well as a combination beam.

For that, I'd be looking at an XML.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I a light the size you are looking for I would scratch the XM-L off your list. It will be way to floody for practical outdoors longer distance usage.

If you are looking at cool white LEDs you will find the difference between the XP-G S2(flux level) and the XP-G2 to be very minimal in real use. The XP-G2 may be a bit brighter and have a little more throw and a little more light to the flood - but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

You could look at the 47s equivalents which I believe have already been upgraded to the XP-G2 LEDs.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flux difference will be minimal (about 10%) but XP-G2 is much throwier than XP-G. You can expect at least 30% increase. There is no 'Fourseven's' equivalent of D25LC2. For 100+ yards forget about XM-L.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I disagree that the XM-L emitter will be too floody in the D25LC2. I own a D25C (very slightly thinner) with an XM-L and it has a clearly defined beam which is very wide, is perfect for outdoor hiking. I very much dislike the throwers for hiking, especially when you're moving around a lot. Throwers are nice from a stationary position but often impractical for hiking.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really comes down to user preference. My friend does not think the 10,300 Lux from my Eagletac D25LC2 XP-G2 is too much throw for outdoor hiking. I too would agree with this, as it seems to light up everything with it's spill beam and surrounding corona. It also has the punch I would need for seeing things at a distance.

However others I know prefer the wider hotspot of the XM-L D25LC2.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good beam with a throw and nice amount of light in the flood is best for hiking. Floody and tiny XM-L lights will blind you with too much light up close and not enough thrown for out. XP-G and XP-G2 will do a nice job. I find the 47's light to not have enough light in the flood and don't work well for me.

I don't think setting an expectation of 30% more throw between a XP-G and XP-G2 in realistic - just that difference int he same light with the same reflector will not likely happen. If the reflector is re-designed for the XP-G2 then yes it's more realistic. From what I have seen in direct mods of XP-G lights to the equivalent tint in a XP-G2 there is just more light overall. More throw and more light in the flood - which is better for me as some XP-G lights were off my list because they were all throw and no flood.

Back to the OPs request - yes in the XP-G2 you will see more throw and more flood, but it is definitely not 30% more. Maybe in the 10-15% range is most realistic.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree that the XM-L emitter will be too floody in the D25LC2. I own a D25C (very slightly thinner) with an XM-L and it has a clearly defined beam which is very wide, is perfect for outdoor hiking. I very much dislike the throwers for hiking, especially when you're moving around a lot. Throwers are nice from a stationary position but often impractical for hiking.

+1. Love my floody XML Quarks and D25A for camping and hiking. I find the brighter intenser hotspots of the throwers tend to wash out their spill making them seem even narrower-beamed than they are already. Also I find close and medium viewing to be required while distant viewing is almost always optional, but of course, YMMV.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understood correctly the latest "enlightening" threads on the XP-G 2, possibly even a tad less than a 10-15% difference considering the XP-G in question is an S2 and not an R5.

StylesTW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. It looks like most of you agree the XP-G2 will have more throw and flood than the XP-G S2 but many of you disagree between an XM-L U2 and a XP-G2 for hiking. Are there any outdoor test between these two emitters out there?

This is making me want to go with a Zebralight SC600. Which is the other I narrowed it down and like everything about it except the weight, which is nearly twice of the D25LC2.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC600 has very little throw, it does just about 5200lux/1m.

PS.
My friend does not think the 10,300 Lux from my Eagletac D25LC2 XP-G2 is too much throw for outdoor hiking.
Wow, that's more than Nitecore EC2 with the same emitter and bigger reflector.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hiking a couple of occasions and came back after sunset so I had a chance to test both my XP-G R5 and XM-L T6 (Fenix PD31 R5, PC20 T6, and Klarus T6) lights: they all worked well.
The PD31 had less flood but I could still see around myself at a close distance no problem. It was also very good to spot stuff in a distance. The PC20/XT2C had more flood but enough throw to allow me to see in distance as well.
Unless you go for a dedicated thrower with poor flood or a floody light with poor throw, you should be fine either way. If I had to choose one or the other maybe I'd go with the floody light - provided throw is not poor as it can come in really handy to lighten up and identify stuff at distance. My experience though and some people might disagree.