If you could build the perfect 2cell LED Tactical light what spec's would it have?

Thomas Carey

Newly Enlightened
If you could build the perfect 2cell LED Tactical light what spec's/features would it have?

Would you use a CREE XM-L or something else?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
XML. Loosen head for mode change, with only two modes: 400 lumen on high and 100 lumen on low. Hard press click tail cap. Compatible with 2 primaries or one rechargeable. Knurling so deep it is abrasive to your skin. Springs at both ends of the battery. Waterproof.

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite TN12. It's small enough to pocket carry. And most important of all...you can set the mode so it always turns on in High every time you hit the tail switch. (If a light cannot be set to start on "High" every time, it is disqualified as a "Tactical" light). 705 Lumens OTF with 2 cells. (680 with 18650) Temperature regulated for max performance without damage. Copper mounted LED. And 6500 lux of throw. Nothing is better than that for a light under 25mm diameter. There are two lights that equal it, but both are XPG's and don't have the big volume of light you get with an XML. And if you need maximum endurance, it will run on moonlight mode for 800 hours. It really is an awesome light. Doesn't get much attention. Just recently discovered it myself. The clip sucks. But just remove it and and put a Surefire grip ring on it. That gives a grip similar to the Combat grip of the Surefire Z2.

BTW, an Oveready bored Z2 with a hot drop-in is the Ultimate Tactical flashlight. (but it's quite expensive. If you can find one.).....Mine runs a Copper mounted XML at 4.8A and makes 1100 OTF and 14,000 lux.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
XML. Loosen head for mode change, with only two modes: 400 lumen on high and 100 lumen on low. Hard press click tail cap. Compatible with 2 primaries or one rechargeable. Knurling so deep it is abrasive to your skin. Springs at both ends of the battery. Waterproof.
Sounds like the TN12 exactly. Except you get 705 lumens OTF and 3 lower settings also.

Thomas Carey

Newly Enlightened
As it sounds like you guys are very much describing a ThruNite-TN12. What changes in that light would you make if you could?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be an Elzetta ZFL-M60-CS2D.

There is nothing else in existence that can even come close to competing with it,IMO.

Some of the best Surefire lights might be in a running for 2nd Place.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it sounds like you guys are very much describing a ThruNite-TN12. What changes in that light would you make if you could?
Remove the tabs around the tail switch. A tactical light should have a consistent feel no matter which way you pick it up. It's not terribly intrusive, you can still push the button. The tabs are slightly too short for stable tail-standing so why even have them? Really that's the only change I would make. A nice feature it has is a sleeve to prevent two primaries from rattling inside the 18650 bore tube. It really is a great circuit that can use one or two cells with imperceptable light output difference (680 vs 705).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure most would consider it counter-intuitive, but I would put a vote in for a moonlight mode. I could image plenty of tactical situations that you might need some illumination without broadcasting your position, and/or, perhaps more importantly, wanting to preserve to your own night vision.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure most would consider it counter-intuitive, but I would put a vote in for a moonlight mode. I could image plenty of tactical situations that you might need some illumination without broadcasting your position, and/or, perhaps more importantly, wanting to preserve to your own night vision.

I think you have a valid point, but I think by "tactical" it means the target is already aware of your engagement and stealth is already gone.

Your recommendation would probably be better in a "recon" or "stealth" style light.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I understand it right, the TN12 has mode memory, so if you shut it off in low, no way to turn it back on in high before turning it on, and then twist-twist-twist the head. That, to me, makes it unacceptable as a tactical light. EDIT: I got that part wrong, you can position the head so it always turns on in high, evidently .... which makes this light solid IMO

For me, the user interface on the KLarus XT series is the best interface going, though I can think of a small improvement. The XT series has the right behavior -- press the big button, it comes on in high, every time. It also allows for instant access to strobe from any and every mode (including off), which makes it one of VERY few lights that actually has a strobe mode that's interesting for tactical use. But no worries, if you miss the strobe button and hit the big button instead -- you're on in high.

I think the XT11 (full size) and XT2C (executive size) are about the perfect 2-cell lights. I grumble about the XT11's stepdown after 3 minutes in high...but not an issue for a tactical light

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
No TNanything qualifies. They are gimmick lights. They're thrown together like the next flashlight flavor of the month. Total joke as a tactical light. And anything over about 300 lumens is counter productive.

A tactical light needs to be single mode only. About 250 lumens so you don't blind yourself clearing a room. Built and tested to be kicked, dropped, mounted on a weapon, and abused, and still work. Momentary/twist rear tailcap. Elzetta or Surefire P/C/Z series are the only thing that currently come to mind.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Idiot simple UI. As adrenaline starts pumping, higher reasoning drops - trying to fumble through a complicated UI is a cluster-frag waiting to happen.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much a Malkoff MD2 with an M61. Depending on your feelings about a second mode, add the High/Low ring.

Thomas Carey

Newly Enlightened
I personally feel 2 modes is the most I want. One bright and one low with much longer run time than the bright setting. I really don't think most people will really have a practical use for the SOS etc type stuff.

No TNanything qualifies. They are gimmick lights. They're thrown together like the next flashlight flavor of the month. Total joke as a tactical light. And anything over about 300 lumens is counter productive.

A tactical light needs to be single mode only. About 250 lumens so you don't blind yourself clearing a room. Built and tested to be kicked, dropped, mounted on a weapon, and abused, and still work. Momentary/twist rear tailcap. Elzetta or Surefire P/C/Z series are the only thing that currently come to mind.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
To tell you the truth, a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop-in. I wouldn't even opt for the high/low mode.

My working light can have as many modes and gimmicks, but my tactical light needs to be simple, dependable, and so idiot-simple that a panicked monkey could operate it correctly.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with simplicity of operation in a high stress situation. Hit the big button, light comes on in high no matter what. You can argue whether it should be momentary-only or a long-throw clicky. For years, my bedside light was a SF body with a Malkoff (and later, a Veleno) LED head. Exactly one mode, high, and momentary/twist. For me, the light doesn't have to be gun-mountable, since I don't mount my light. It should be robust. I do not blind myself with an >250 lumens light, so disagree that brighter light is a waste or that it necessarily does so ... but my bedside light is <250 lumens. Then again, I'm a civilian, LEOs might get themselves in other situations. In any case, I would never argue against an original SF momentary/twist style interface in general, but for me, I'd only use it in the only situation where I'll have a firearm -- bedside light, in the home.

That said, as long as the primary UI is simple and idiot-proof (or rather, stress-proof), it is absolutely the case -- at least for me -- that other modes can be useful. As a civilian, my use of a flashlight in defensive situations does not (usually won't) involved a firearm. There are certainly defensive situations outside the home (without a firearm, since I can't carry one) where I can use multiple modes, and instant access to strobe is useful. With something like the XT series interface, I have my dead-simple highest-stress interface, and also have other options available for other situations (and I know from experience I can competently use those options).

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
To tell you the truth, a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop-in. I wouldn't even opt for the high/low mode.

My working light can have as many modes and gimmicks, but my tactical light needs to be simple, dependable, and so idiot-simple that a panicked monkey could operate it correctly.

The only reason I suggested two modes (400 and 100 lumens) is so the user could select an output for indoor vs outdoor applications/needs. By twisting the head to get the different output level, you would still have a KISS UI where the light was either on or off by pressing the tailcap.

I get your point though - it needs to be dead simple to use.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose we need to define tactical.

When I think tactical I'm thinking about kicking in a door in a 7 man stack. Gun drawn and clearing rooms.

For a duty light, that has to server multiple roles, a couple of modes is fine.