New to Fenix Lights

hcd615

Enlightened
Hi,
I am a huge Surefire fan. The past couple days I have purchased a few keychain lights. I got the eGear Pico and the Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Light. I then came back on here where I havent been for a while. I found that people love the Fenix E01. I then also saw the Fenix E05. Am I correct in saying that the difference is the E05 is a bit smaller but brighter then the E01?

Where do you buy the E05? If I dont care about runtime and bright do you suggest the E05 instead of the E01?
Any help would be great. I never realized there were so MANY flashlight companies. I have been a Surefire dummy for years.

Thanks

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
You could go look in the http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forum.php for vendors there are several. Fenix of course lists their dealers on their web site. Do not call yourself names! Surefire makes good lights. There are a lot of folks that have them around here! I have two from them and they fit some needs very well. I also like the two Fenix lights I have.

Check the reviews section for info on them. I found that the google search on the forum works pretty well.

hcd615

Enlightened
I tried to google the Fenix website and a bumch came up, do you know what the OFFICIAL Fenix website is so i can look at the models?

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
I have both. The E05 is more floody than the E01, also. Both are very nice.

hcd615

Enlightened
mgscheue, I was just on youtube and I found the Fenix LD01. That seems really nice and a bit smaller then the E05. I see there is a LD01 R4?? Is there different models of the LD01, if so which one do you get?

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
The LD01 seems to be very highly regarded though I don't have one.

maroast

Newly Enlightened
I have an EO1 and an EO5. Personally, I would not buy another EO1 (it's on my gfs keychain now). I'm not really picky, but I dont like the color, the crappy pattern, and amount of light. I love the EO5... With enloops I use it all of the time. It's a great light. I would buy more EO5s if needed.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I found the Fenix LD01. That seems really nice and a bit smaller then the E05.

The LD01 is bigger than the E05 ... about the same diameter but about 0.4" longer. I have both and use them as EDC.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
E05 has the nicest beam for its size and is very bright to the eye too. I can lit a room with this tiny thing. It is a great bargain.

hcd615

Enlightened
So do you guys suggest to get the E05 or LD01 for a small ddc on a keyring. I have plenty of big powerful SF lights, just looking for a light for my keyring, bag, car glovebox??

Yamabushi

Enlightened
So do you guys suggest to get the E05 or LD01 for a small ddc on a keyring.

Don't be silly ... a true flashaholic should ask "should I get the E05 and the LD01". :grin2:

Seriously, I find the E05 (smaller) to be better as a keychain light and the LD01 (with the clip) a better pocket light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
FOr otehr companies, Thrunite also has their Ti, Klarus has their MiX6 and Mi10, Foursevens has their Preon, Olight has the i3, Titanium Innovations has their Illuminaniti, Lumapower has the LM21, Dereelight has the DA3, Nitecore has a T5, T2s, and T0, Sunwayman has the R01A, Lumintop has their Worm, and there are more that I can't remember. :p

I like the DQG III on my keychain. Not the brightest AAA light, but one of the smallest, stainless steel, and comes in neutral/warm white.

As for where to buy, just check the CPF marketplace (Batteryjunction, Fenix Store, Foursenves.com, SBFlashlights, GoingGear, and many others). Some also have coupons for CPF users.

When Thrunite had their 5 Ti "Buddle" for $45, I bought two of them. They are nice AAA lights and could have been nice.

For a bag and glove box light, I'd got with an AA light. More power and not too much bigger.

hcd615

Enlightened
ok, so I am going to buy a bunch of the E05's and a couple LD01's. What versions the E05? I see on youtube posts it says R2? How about the LD01 version and what do they mean?

hcd615

Enlightened
I went to Fenix Lightening.com and they told me the E05 R4 is the newest LED? Is that correct, they said they are the US reseller? I see some people have E05 R@, R#, they say they are all the same but the other company said they are always updating the led bulb and R4 is the newest.....

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Sounds about right. Some sellers still offer the XP-E R2 or R3 versions. I only have the R3 so I can't offer an opinion on which is better.

AFAIK,current production LD01 use XP-G R4 but there is/was a limited edition stainless steel model with XP-G R5. Older models used lower bin XP-G and there were XP-E versions. Again, I only have the XP-G R4 so I can't offer an opinion on which is better.

For an explanation of LEDs and bin numbers, start by reading http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?270419-Commonly-Used-LED-Emitter-Index and some of the articles it links.

EDIT: There's lots of Fenix resellers. Even bestbuy.com sells them.

Last edited:

hcd615

Enlightened
Ok, so I purchased six LD01's from the Fenix Store, had them shipped overnight, cant wait to check them out tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys.

Glock 'em down

Newly Enlightened
I have an E05 on my keys, as does my wife and two daughters.

I also pocket carry a Fenix E15. It's about the size of a shotgun shell, uses a single CR123 batt and is stoopid bright for it's size.

I buy all of my Fenix lights from Amazon.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
The official Fenix site is www.fenixlight.com I have had great luck dealing with fenixoutfitters.com great prices and Cust service. They also have a factory refurbs list that often has lights that either had a torn box or were just returned for a different light. They come with the full Fenix warranty. By the way, if you register your fenix light, fenix extends the length of the warranty. Watch out for people on this site though. I got hooked on fenix and have bought like five in less than a year :)

hcd615

Enlightened
Funny LIGHTCRAZY I purchased my lights from Fenix-Store.com and the lady emailed me back with my overnight tracking number and in her email signature under Fenix-Store.com it says FenixOutfitters.com.