Please help me pick my first headlamp.

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!
I am not new to flashlights but I have no experience with headlamps. I'm looking for a light that runs on either rcr123, 18650, 14500 batteries, as these are the batteries I already own. I prefer throw over spill. The only modes I really care about are high and low. I'm looking to keep it under $100. Is there such an animal? Thank you. I'm looking forward to your replies.

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
Ok. So, the spark lights and the zebralights look good. I like the set up and look of the sparks but the UI on the zebralight looks better. Any preferences between the 2?

five.

Newly Enlightened
You're on the right track...you still have some more decisions to make before you choose!
That is a great thread with info and things to think about.

My own research led me to narrow it down to spark and ZL as well. For my uses, I really needed an 18650 and a single headband. Most all of the spark ones have the over-the-head band as well because of the emitter being in the center. I probably would have went with the spark if I had been able to figure that out.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a great thread with info and things to think about.

My own research led me to narrow it down to spark and ZL as well. For my uses, I really needed an 18650 and a single headband. Most all of the spark ones have the over-the-head band as well because of the emitter being in the center. I probably would have went with the spark if I had been able to figure that out.

My pet theory is they do the center-emitter thing or else they'd look like a ZL clone. I like my H51W, with plenty of options, power, and runtime on one AA cell. The "18650 version" of this is only a smidge bigger, with more power. For super-close activites (Always working at arm's length, never further) the 'f' option would be my preference.

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
So between the zebralight H600 Cree XM-L 750Lm Headlamp and the spark st6-500cw, which has better throw?

MrModularME

Newly Enlightened
Rayovac makes a Cheap 12 Dollar 3xAAA LED Headlamp that is avaiable in the HomeDepot's and Lowe's that would let you find out what you like or Don't like in a Headlamp. Its easier AND less Exspensive to make those first Attempt's(&Mistakes) on a cheap Light, and live and learn from there. Find out if you want throw, or flood. Do you want a 3 band "over the Top" type headband or do you want a hat clip type, or just a regular headband Headlamp. Sometimes you luck out and a Sub $20 Light will be all you need instead of spending Close to a &100 bucks on something that does not even fulfill your needs.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So between the zebralight H600 Cree XM-L 750Lm Headlamp and the spark st6-500cw, which has better throw?

If nobody answers your question, PM to Szemhazai, who is our resident expert on throwy headlamps. He might know.

Lightlytoasted

Newly Enlightened
I have the Rayovac from Home Depot with the 3AAA's and it is half decent for a cheap light. It has decent throw and spill and I believe the two settings are 100 and 30 lumens which is plenty bright for most tasks I need it for. It uses the headband as padding which is not too bad comfort wise. This is my first headlamp and I'm sure I could easily be spoiled by the more expensive ones but this serves me fine for now.