Portable luxeon lantern light

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
After raiding cost plus and taking all of their small square candle lanterns, and a couple of the larger ones, and building these (link to my luxeon room lighting project), I had one of the small lanterns left over.

I took a quick look at the empty space below the lanterns, and saw that it would be perfect for one of those enclosed AA battery boxes with a switch.

Thus, the portable luxeon lantern is born:

roomlantern1.jpg

The battery box is quite unnoticed in the space underneath the lantern

roomlantern2.jpg

Inside, is a 1W HD (Q2J), on a piece of 1/16" Al bar as a heat sink. This is just glued to the floor of the lantern. Up in the corner is the switch for the battery box. Unfortunately, the switch is on the opposite side of the box as the cover, so I could either add another switch; attach the lid to the lantern, and remove the rest of the box to change batteries; or simply have the switch be inside. I chose the last one due to its simplicity, and to not have the weight of the batteries be hanging off the lid latch.

roomlantern3.jpg

It runs off 3 AA batteries, with 2.8 ohms of resistance, for 280mA. We're not looking for eye-blinding brightness, but rather sufficient light with good runtimes.

roomlantern4.jpg

Here it is lighting up the bathroom. Easily enough light, even for non-dark adapted eyes.

These would actually make a pretty nice little product.

Cost - cheap!
Luxeon - $4
Heat sink - $0.10 in Al
Lantern - $6
Switch box w/ resistor - $2

Total: $12.10 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice!

where did you get a luxeon for $4????

i could use a few of those!

Bob

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
very nice!

where did you get a luxeon for $4????

i could use a few of those!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought 50 of them for $200 back in August, during a one-time deal that Elektrolumens kindly made available to us. It was a worthwhile investment.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very purdy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (not to mention useful!)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
An import store called Cost Plus (kinda like Pier 1, except cheaper and warehouse-style)