wdkingery

Newly Enlightened
does anyone kbow about this light?
google returned nothing.
costco video claims "cree leds"
$100 @ costco

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Terralux dropin for your 5d or 6D maglite. You'll have a 1000 lumens, and better quality for your dollar. :)

FlyBoyMcCall

Newly Enlightened
Get a Terralux dropin for your 5d or 6D maglite. You'll have a 1000 lumens, and better quality for your dollar. :)

I haven't been able to find any Terralux drop-ins at anywhere near 1,000 lumens. Do you have a link. They want $20 for a 60 lumen model.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hey FlyBoyMcCall, welcome to the club. At Terralux's website under led conversions, you should see this 1000 lumen part for $99.99 MSRP. But on eBay, I see them floating around for about $70 USD, shipped...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteryjunction had the 1000 lumen Terralux dropin for under $40 a while ago. I nearly bought one but couldn't really see a need for it. Their regular price is about $70. If they have them on sale again I may pull the trigger on one.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the Santee, CA Costco today and saw a 1,000 lumen Coast flashlight for $50. Took 9 AAs, used a single Cree XM-L l.e.d., and had the slide lock focus (which means you can adjust from spot to flood). I remember it had a high of 1,000 lumens for 2.5 hours and a low of 40 lumens (don't remember runtime, but I think it was over 30 hours). I passed up purchasing it, but it seemed like a good deal for the price. I just spent a lot on a couple U2 bin Cree XM-L P60 drop-ins and some 3400 mAh 18650 cells, so I didn't feel the need to buy such a bulky light. Since you guys are talking about another 1,000 lumen light from Costco, I thought I'd mention this one since it's half the price of the other.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the Santee, CA Costco today and saw a 1,000 lumen Coast flashlight for $50. Took 9 AAs, used a single Cree XM-L l.e.d., and had the slide lock focus (which means you can adjust from spot to flood).

I looked it up. And Coast doesn't make a 1000 lumen, 9aa flashlight. Are you sure the light you saw was a Coast?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it was a Coast light. It had their patented slide lock focus. Yes, it took 9 AAs. Everything I posted is correct. Just because you can't find it with a quick search online does not mean it doesn't exist. This time of year, brick and mortar stores tend to get the good lights in just in time for Black Friday. Sometimes, this is done before you can even know they exist online.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it was a Coast light. It had their patented slide lock focus. Yes, it took 9 AAs. Everything I posted is correct. Just because you can't find it with a quick search online does not mean it doesn't exist. This time of year, brick and mortar stores tend to get the good lights in just in time for Black Friday. Sometimes, this is done before you can even know they exist online.

I actually saw the light in question on another flashlight forum. Apparently, it's called the HP550. But oddly enough, googling it brings up NOTHING. And you will find no sign this light exists on the Coast company website, either. It could be that this light is being made exclusively for sale at Costco. Or maybe they don't want to advertise it TOO much since it kind of competes with their own HP21, and at a MUCH lower price point. In any case, it looks interesting. And with a runtime on high of 2.5 hours on nine AA batteries (vs 2hr 19 min on 8 AA for a Fenix TK41), it looks like the light output could very well be for real. Needless to say, I'm going to go have a look at this one tomorrow. Say what you want about Coast. But this sounds like it COULD be a deal.

There does appear to be one downside, however. It looks like the only running modes are the 1000 lumen high mode and a dim 40 lumen mode. I would MUCH prefer to see something somewhere in between (say, 300 lumens) that would give a better balance between runtime and brightness.

Anyway, looks like it might be time to start charging all those extra Duraloops I have laying around!

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened

Just saw this light on E-bay, but they want $100. At $50 a 1000 lumen Coast with adjustable focus that runs on regular AA batteries seems like a good price.
Have to take a ride to Costco and check 'em out.

beast1210

Newly Enlightened
Here is my review of the Highland series. The 1000 has impressed me, especially when compared to my 340 dollar jetbeam rrt3.

shot comparison video

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this light on E-bay, but they want $100. At $50 a 1000 lumen Coast with adjustable focus that runs on regular AA batteries seems like a good price.
Have to take a ride to Costco and check 'em out.

I got REALLY interested and tried to pick one up today. But apparently, my local Costco hasn't received their shipment yet. In any case, this light looks REALLY interesting. Say what you want about Coast. But unlike SO many of their other lights, this one seems like it could be a REALLY good value. I just wish they could make something that uses D batteries. But I guess you can't have everything.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got REALLY interested and tried to pick one up today. But apparently, my local Costco hasn't received their shipment yet. In any case, this light looks REALLY interesting. Say what you want about Coast. But unlike SO many of their other lights, this one seems like it could be a REALLY good value. I just wish they could make something that uses D batteries. But I guess you can't have everything.

They do! The Coast HP17TAC. Uses 3 D cells and puts out about 615 lumens. Amazon.com has them for $65.18. I wish I was a Costco member, I would buy the 1000 lumen model in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do! The Coast HP17TAC. Uses 3 D cells and puts out about 615 lumens. Amazon.com has them for $65.18. I wish I was a Costco member, I would by the 1000 lumen model in a heartbeat!

I meant that I wish the 1000 lumen model was available in a D cell model. The runtime would be better. And you wouldn't have to worry about having to recharge 9 AA batteries. Unless you want to wait HOURS by charging batteries in groups of four (or have several small chargers), you'll need one of these:

01160%20TN160%20Charger%201x450.jpg

As for not being a Costco member, do you know someone who is? Just go there with them to buy it.

Last edited: