Do you keep all of your LED flashlights or often sell them and upgrade frequently?

Do you keep all of your LED flashlights or often sell them and upgrade frequently?

• I keep all of my LED lights.

Votes: 78 78.8%
  • I upgrade and sell frequently.

Votes: 21 21.2%

• Total voters

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just wondering what percentage of LED flashlight buyers do with their older model lights when newer or better lights come onto the market.

I keep all of mine nowadays even though I don't use a lot of the older ones at all.

I have just strayed into that way of doing things quite by accident as I did not intend to keep all of the lights I bought when I started out buying LED lights.

Do most of the CPFers have strong attachments to their lights even when there are upgrades or a better brand is available?

I am not sure if this topic has ever been polled before or even lately but it is an interesting question to most of the LED people that I talk to as mates or on this Forum.

Please have your say and Vote in my POLL.

The basic question is are you a light keeper or do you sell off old lights to upgrade to newer lights or another better light of another brand?

Cheers

Last edited:

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
I voted "keep", because I haven't been affected by flashaholism long enough. All of my good flashlights are mere months old.

samuraishot

Enlightened
Since I'm more of a user, I keep what's useful for me. I tried the collecting route, but found myself selling anything that doesn't get any real use. Sometimes I get stuff just to see what the fuss is all about, like old school Surefires and some runs of a custom maker. It's cool for the time being, but if I find it just sitting there, it goes off to the marketplace.

passive101

Enlightened
Since I use most of my lights, they're not going to be in perfect condition and many get upset with even a single scratch from what I see here. I can't imagine what they would think of some of my used lights on my keychain etc.

For many of them, I put lithium primaries in them, and put them in places such as the car, coat pockets, etc.

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
My father gave me my first flashlight about 50 years ago and I still have it and every flashlight I accumulated since. So I vote keep.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy gear to use not to resell it. I guess I'm a collector considering I can see 16 flashlights from where I am sitting at the puter.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't usually sell my flashlights but once in a while I would select a few to sell off just to fund other light purchase. I have so many now that I have sort of lost count, but I do know that I have about at least 60+ pieces still on hand and three more on custom order that have yet to reach me.

I don't think I belong to any of those two categories so I chose not to vote.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I end up almost keeping everything. Not just flashlights. I have some lights I don't use and by the time I figure its worth 10 bucks, I figure why bother selling it. Once I sell it someone might complain and I just don't want the hassle. Half my lights are keepers and the other half should be let go.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys and gals for the replies and for voting on a very interesting subject that has had me thinking for quite a while.

I wondered whether I was just silly in keeping them rather than selling some or just giving them away.

I can't give most of mine away to anyone that does not really understand Li-ion chemistry and the dangers involved in charging and handling these possible FIRECRACKERS.

Also they would have to buy Li-ion batteries and chargers for any Li-ion flashlights.

I guess in my case I am stuck with them as dust collectors and memories of Technology gone by.

Storing this growing collection is not easy in my study area and I will have to update my collection in my Signature as well, but I will have to do it using an image file as I have run out of room for text now even using smaller font sizes and types.

Cheers

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i voted upgrade. but i upgraded in the areas of durability, and longevity, and not so much in technology.

i have sold or given away more than ive kept. this was mostly in the beginning phases of my flashaholism.
but im no longer in a trial phase with my lights. i know what works for me and what im looking for, so purchases now in a last couple of years have been mostly keepers. (mostly surefires) :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a keeper. Very nearly all of my light purchases are 'task driven'. Once chosen and purchased for a given task that light won't go obsolete. There are just a few lights I have that I selected for quirky reasons and I would always keep them for those same reasons.

With most of my lights it just boils down to the fact that I basically think of them as tools. To replace one that was still functional for its task would be kind of like buying a new 3.8" wrench to replace my old one.

bodhran

Enlightened
I've sold and given away a few but later found that I wish I had this or that light back. Now I just keep them all.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your poll is incomplete.

I upgrade my lights frequently, not by selling them and buying new lights, but rather actually upgrading the LEDs as new technology is available.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your poll is incomplete.

I upgrade my lights frequently, not by selling them and buying new lights, but rather actually upgrading the LEDs as new technology is available.

Good point, but there are many ways to look at these questions and listing all of the variations in the habits of flashaholics and other variations would be too complex and may have to be multi-choice answers.

This will have to do for now as I have already started this Poll.

The basic purpose of this Poll is to find out who are keepers and who are not!

Cheers

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point, but there are many ways to look at these questions and listing all of the variations in the habits of flashaholics and other variations would be too complex and may have to be multi-choice answers.

This will have to do for now as I have already started this Poll.

The basic purpose of this Poll is to find out who are keepers and who are not!

Cheers

Good response. No poll is perfect. Shine, it's an open field should you want to go for it.:ironic:

Karl

mbw_151

Enlightened
I'm selling fewer than I used to. By now, most of my lights are neutral tint or high CRI at 4500K with the emitters or modules in quality bodies and hosts. I'll buy if there's a great new UI, but a few more lumens doesn't mean much to me anymore.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, I've only sold one of all the lights I have collected. I didn't sell it to upgrade....it was a double.

Karl