P61 for SF G2N worthwhile?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a SF G2 Nitrolon with the std P60 lamp assembly. Am considering "stepping up" to the P61. Is the P61 visibly superior in output?
confused.gif
(If not, what is the next step up in brightness without massivly increasing the bulk of the unit?)

SurefireM6

Enlightened
The P61 doubles the light output of the P60. It provides much more light, it's not much brighter if that makes sense. If you do go to the P61, I recommend you going to the Pyrex lens upgrade for your G2. It depends on what your after, to me it's worth using HOLAs. To some it's not worth the 40 minute reduction in runtime.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I have the P61 in my Z2. The hotspot is about twice as big, but the side spill is the same as the P60. I am not sure the higher output is worth the only 20 minute run time.

If its going to be a frequently used light, I'd say its not really worth it. If your going to just use it as a defensive light in conjunction with a handgun for self protection using the Rogers technique, I would say it could be a worthy upgrade.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
The Surefire Website does not list all that they sell. For most parts, you'll have to call to order them. The Pyrex Lens equipped bezel is standard on the G2Z and can be ordered from SF direct for about $14. The P61 produces much more light and with more light comes more heat. It's unlikely that you will melt or damage the lexan lens (I have several times
grin.gif
) unless you leave it on for a long time or keep it on where cooling is not available (if you place it head down while on, it turns on accidentally in a holster etc.)

For me, the size vs output is the reason I use SF so HOLAs are in most of my SFs. If I were going to use the P60, I'd carry a Scorpion for a fraction of the price that gets the same output. HOLAs do get expensive however
frown.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
I bought a P61 lamp for my G2. It is brighter but not worth the 20 minute runtime. Doubling brightness isn't perceived as being very much brighter by the eye and brain. You would need to quadruple brightness before it looks really brighter.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I agree with that. The real difference is when you use it outside for longer distances. At close range, it seems slightly brighter and a bit more light. If you actually take a P60 and P61 equipped light at the same time and switch between illuminating objects at longer distances there is a big difference (20,40,50 yards out, not indoors at close range). Also if you shine it in someones eyes there is a big difference.

Perceived brightness is minimal but there are noticible differences. One must weigh the 60 vs 20 minute runtime. Having bought 800 DL123s I generally take the 20 minute route
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
i think i have a rogue P61 lamp assembly...the beam is smaller and tighter than the beam from my P60. is this normal?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by nihraguk:
i think i have a rogue P61 lamp assembly...the beam is smaller and tighter than the beam from my P60. is this normal?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Absolutely not. I would return it to Surefire. As you probably know, their customer service is usally superb. Just one caveat, however. There is a slight chance that you have a "rogue" P60 that is over spec in beam diameter, making a normal P61 look tighter. Or a mislabeling of one or both lamps.

You could test this if you have or can borrow another P60 and P61.

Brightnorm

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yahoo! Thanks for all the great input. As I want to be able to use a "pocket sized" light for "illuminating objects at longer distances there is a big difference 20,40,50 yards out", I think I'll give the HOLA a try. I is nice to understand up front, that there will be minimal benefit for say shining inside of a piece of office equipment - but siginificant benefit for shining in the eyes. Thanks again.

nihraguk

Enlightened
Originally posted by brightnorm:
Absolutely not. I would return it to Surefire. As you probably know, their customer service is usally superb. Just one caveat, however. There is a slight chance that you have a "rogue" P60 that is over spec in beam diameter, making a normal P61 look tighter. Or a mislabeling of one or both lamps.

You could test this if you have or can borrow another P60 and P61.

Brightnorm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks for the response
smile.gif
i have another P60 lamp in a 6P which was my first surefire and the P60 in my M2 is normal. its the P61 that's throwing a tight spot. however, since i seldom use the P61 and the beam is still perfect, i'll hold off for now. i actually consider it a bit of a bonus, kinda like getting a free surefire turbohead
wink.gif
if it proves to be an issue in future i'll contact surefire's customer service.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I did a test on myself last night (room with only moderate moon light, eyes adjusted) just because of this thread. The P60 lamp assembly shined in my eyes gave me a complete blind spot while the light was in my face, but reduced over a couple of seconds once the light was turned off. I was sufficiently disoriented for about 3ish seconds once the light was turned off.

Using the P61 lamp, I was completely blind for about 5 seconds after the light was turned off and disoriented for another 5ish seconds.

For a defensive use, I got ~3 times the amount of disorientation from the P61, but either lamp only amounted to a matter of small seconds. Obviously YMMV and this is assuming you can aim the light into the eyes under a high stress situation.

IMHO, I wouldn't want to depend on any light source as a self defense tool. The real use for this light is having a small, light, very bright package that allows the use of potential target identification in low or no light situations.

If you are paying $4 a battery for 123s, I don't think the P61 is worth it. If you are buying in bulk @ less than around $1.50 per 123, I think the HOLA becomes more practical.

rlhess

Enlightened
While I realize there is variation among units of the same part number, and that the P6x and P9x experience may be different, I have decided that the P90 and the 1-hour run time is, in general, more useful for looking (NOT DEFENSE) than theh P91.

In measuring the center hotspot of a P90 and P91 (these are the three-cell lamps), I found them to be equal. The P90's beam shape is oval while the P91's is circular. One could imagine that the hotspot covers 2x the area, using up all the extra lumens in coverage, not throw.

IF (and I don't have a P61) the P60 and P61 measure the same in the hotspot and the hotspot is just bigger, I would suspect that the difference at any distance would not be significant. From what I'm hearing the difference between the P60 and P61 is not exactly the same as the P90 and P91...and that rogue P61 does sound like a mini-turbohead!

Cheers,

Richard