OK, another noob mistake. How do I remove vaseline from these o-rings?

wahoowad

Newly Enlightened
I put a very light coating of Vaseline Lip Therapy (100% pure petroleum jelly) on my flashlight o-rings. I simply wiped it on them while installed, did not remove. Should I use a toothpick or something to remove the o-rings and clean them off? I read old threads and will pick a new lube, but wondering what to use to get the petroleum based vaseline off them? :eek:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that big of a deal. Just use some soap and water. Order some Nyogel from Lighthound.

wahoowad

Newly Enlightened
what can I use to remove the o-rings? I have a sharp pick (no sharp edge, just a point) like the one on the right. I ask as these little flashlight o-rings look so fragile and I don't want to screw one up. :green:

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was looking at getting some picks of another brand essentially just like those pictured.

I know Dark Sucks sells those sorts of picks specifically for o-rings. it may be overkill but the picks would be good for other tasks too i'm sure :)

Last edited by a moderator:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use a toothpick for o-ring removal. And while it's good that you're careful with them, bear in mind that they're like windshield wiper blades on your car - you're supposed to change them over time. Skip spending on a specialized tool and instead buy more replacement rings.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I haven't tried this, but a tiny crochet hook might be practical for this. I usually just use my nails; decent o-rings should be able to take a bit of abuse.
Make sure you work your way around the o-ring, though, don't just pull it in one place.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I purposely use Vaseline on O-rings when the heads turn too easily/freely. The O-rings expand a bit and provides a bit more resistance and dampening, including "tightening up" the feel of some loose threads.

Not a noob mistake.... use where appropriate.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I'm surprised by the number of people using picks to remove o-rings. I just pinch them. :duh2: The ring bunches up and you can pull it right off...

awyeah

Enlightened
Where do you guys buy your spare o-rings? I know I can go to my local dealer for Fenix o-rings, not sure about other brands.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use a small flat screwdriver with my finger on top of the o-ring if it won't come off by rubbing it towards the end of the tube. I too am surprised at how many people use a pick.