Whats a good Durability standard for a flashlight?

Quiksilver

Enlightened
"If my flashlight can ____________, then its durable enough for me."

Personally, my reliability standards:

1. Water: At least IPX-8 standard, minimum. It has to be functional underwater, more marks if it can function as a snorkling / recreational dive light.

2. Toughness: for a larger light (2xCR123 and larger), I have to be able to pound a nail into a 2x4 with the flashlight, and have it operate fine afterwards. If it cant do that, then I don't want it.

3. Self-destructability: can NOT be capable of destroying itself through usage. (ie. lights that get so hot they melt their components after 10 minutes of usage). If it can destroy itself through its normal function, then I don't want it.

4. Voltage range: It has to be able to take all common voltage batteries in its size. If it can be destroyed with a battery voltage that can fit into the battery compartment, I don't want it.

5. ???

* Note, the above only applies to common flashlights. Things like keychain lights I do not subject to my toughness standards.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!

1. Waterproof- light needs to be able to function under water, nothing too deep but should be able to take a dunk in a pool (~8ft).

2. Toughness- light should be able to take falls on hard ground from waist level. If it can take falls from higher then even better but waist level is fine by me.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

dss_777

Enlightened
"If my flashlight can ____________, then its durable enough for me."

Personally, my reliability standards:

1. Water: At least IPX-8 standard, minimum. It has to be functional underwater, more marks if it can function as a snorkling / recreational dive light.

2. Toughness: for a larger light (2xCR123 and larger), I have to be able to pound a nail into a 2x4 with the flashlight, and have it operate fine afterwards. If it cant do that, then I don't want it.

3. Self-destructability: can NOT be capable of destroying itself through usage. (ie. lights that get so hot they melt their components after 10 minutes of usage). If it can destroy itself through its normal function, then I don't want it.

4. Voltage range: It has to be able to take all common voltage batteries in its size. If it can be destroyed with a battery voltage that can fit into the battery compartment, I don't want it.

5. ???

* Note, the above only applies to common flashlights. Things like keychain lights I do not subject to my toughness standards.

Does such a light even exist?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size nail?

I have lots of lights that will easily pound a wire brad, but maybe only one or two that could do a #12 or #16.

I'd like to see a light pound a #16 sinker into a 2x4. Maybe a larger SS Peak.

LGT

Enlightened
Can't think of any that actually pound nails. seems a little extreme. Though there are a few that can take a bullet, which, I guess, could also be considered a bit extreme.

Last edited:

keenism

Newly Enlightened
A Flashlight is not a weapon, further discussion along these lines will also be deleted. - Norm

edit:

I feel VERY sorry for anyone, especially an adult who couldn't see past that sarcasm.

If anyone was offended I apologize

editing someones post without leaving the context in tact does not help any other readers of this forum

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elzetta can be used to pound nails - although certainly not originally intended for that task.

There are lights that can be used as dive lights - but are accordingly expensive and not worth that much money (for me).

Overall durability is of interest to me, which is why I'm such a sucker for Surefire/Malkoff and now Elzetta lights. Fenix has a good track record as well. But just as with anything electronic, sometimes stuff just happens, which is why you bring as bombproof a backup as you can afford.

passive101

Enlightened
A flashlight is a lighting tool, discussion of the use of a flashligts as a weapon will be deleted See Post #6 - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for me IPX8 waterproofiness and being able to be dropped onto the ground from 3' without breaking is good enough.

Personally, I find the idea of using a flashlight to pound nails into a 2x4 rather ridiculous.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bYZZUS3WA

The Elzetta host paired with a Malkoff M60 can pass those standards ...

I'm sure most P60 hosts paired with a Malkoff could do the same, then its just a question of water proofness. I'd like water proofing to IP67 standards like my HDS, but IPX8 seems to be standard.

passive101

Enlightened
Steel flashlights have been made in the past in the United States at least. If its not steel, beating with it isn't going to work with brittle aluminum. After the anodizing is gone it will not be nearly as strong. Is a fact of physics and the alloys used. A hammer or solid piece of steel or wood even would be a more logical choice to protect the tool.

I actually tried to make my post with as little weapon talk as possible.

Last edited:

keenism

Newly Enlightened
I think Norm needs to give a lecture to the cops around here...but by definition a flashlight can be a weapon, and advertisements here assert as much... "500 retina searing lumens" would certain give me a means to "contend with another".

I'm not trying to stir the pot, and I don't buy flashlights to harm people. Just wanted to get across some people do look for durability for certain defensive or offensive purposes, or to be an extension of a weapon itself...

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
I don't get it either, but they sure make a lot of money on this site from advertising weapon and tactical lights designed for use with violence either offensively of defensively.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
All kids and most adults know anything can be a weapon. I have no idea why we can discus tactical lights, weapon lights, lights designed for hitting, temp blinding, disorientating attackers, but can't discuss any of this if we use the w word. This site is mainly for people who shine their lights against walls and use them in peaceful settings. Whenever I respond to these threads my posts get deleted.

There are a LOT of people who use their lights other than in peaceful settings. The SITE has a restriction on DISCUSSING these uses though, and we can say it has a strike bezel, but we can NOT discuss striking with it....its just the rules here to protect the site. We like the site, and want to protect it, so we AGREE to not discuss the uses as a weapon.

Try to go with it w/o getting defensive...the site has a LOT of rules, and it takes some getting used to, but there IS a method to the madness. We ALL ran afoul of the rules at some point early in our experiences here...just like children learning the rules at school. We may think the rules are dumb...but its because we don't know WHY they are there.

Once you've had a chance to catch-up, you'll see why things are the way they are.

Relax, and see the light.

:D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot Norm an email and ask, politely, where the conflict arises.

Generally speaking, I suspect the forum is trying to avoid developing associations not strictly intended by the manufacturers. And a forum discussing the equivalent of improvised weapons could draw the wrong kind of attention and, as I noted above, associations.

Since I don't know what your original post was, I can't speculate as to why it got flagged.

keenism

Newly Enlightened
Naa I respect norm, being a moderator is a pain...been there. It's easy to miss sarcasm(It wasn't in very good taste either) when you're having to monitor and sift through so much. The site has done nothing but help me out as well so its all good.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
eh, i gave up using the cpfmarketplace due to the hassle of navigating the minefield of micro-moderation. its like driving through a parking lot with speed bumps every 10ft. at some point, id rather just park elsewhere.

passive101

Enlightened
Naa I respect norm, being a moderator is a pain...been there. It's easy to miss sarcasm(It wasn't in very good taste either) when you're having to monitor and sift through so much. The site has done nothing but help me out as well so its all good.

I can't disagree with this.

Verndog

Enlightened

Please tell us how you know the light you just bought will pound a nail in a 2x4 before you buy...or do you just buy 10 lights to keep 1?? :shakehead