Rayovac Indestructible switching modes differ from 3AAA to 2AA

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Rayovac Indestructible 3AAA for a few months. Nice little light so I decided to order a 2AA model. The 3AAA model's click modes are as follows; 1st click high, 2nd click low, 3rd click off. However after receiving the 2AA I've found its clicky mode is; 1st click high, 2nd click off, 3rd click low, 4th click off. I really don't like this! With the 3 click cycle I know I'll be in high mode when I turn the light on. With the 4 cycle mode you don't know if you'll be in high or low unless you always make sure to end on one of the two off positions.

I kinda feel like a baby for whining about a $15 light. Any thoughts?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordinary function with the 2AA model is click=on high, second click= off, third click within 4 seconds = " battery saver"/low.... Click off, click on is back to high....

What I found with this 2 AA light is that there is a memory that lasts about 4 seconds.
If you wait more than about 4 seconds the light will come on in it's default high setting every time rather than giving you the low option.

It is a forward clicky, pushing halfway down will let you select (put the head into your palm or against your leg if you want low without being blinded by high) and then pushing fully will lock it on with a click. - You don't have to press down fully to turn the light on or to switch between the two modes -a half press will do. The click locks it on or turns it off.

So long story short... If you wait more than four seconds you will always find the light to come on in high.

Last edited:

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
What you explained makes sense, but I just tried it and for whatever reason it's still acting the way I described. I waited 10sec, then 30 and then a full minute but no luck. Maybe I got a faulty one?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume that there is an itty bitty capacitor of some sort that drains after only four seconds, once its drained the light will come back on high, if it isn't drained yet then it will "remember" which setting was on last and switch to the other one instead...

So if you just half press it down without clicking the light comes on right? - and then you can let go and the light should go back off. No clicks.
You should be able to half press as many times as you like without clicking (mechanically locking) and see the light go bright, off, dim, off, bright, off... Go fast and its like a bright/dim alternating strobe if you like.
-And then click it down to keep it on in the setting of your choice.

If your light remembers it's previous setting for long periods of time somehow, I'd be surprised, but if so then maybe it is a malfunction. The light almost seems too simple to have much go wrong other than switch and contacts.

Last edited: