Ld20 beam question

Ndl1911

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I just got a Ld20 R5 and I noticed that there is a pin hole in the very center of the beam. The hole becomes noticeable from a couple of feet away. Is this normal or is my light defective?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Hello, I just got a Ld20 R5 and I noticed that there is a pin hole in the very center of the beam. The hole becomes noticeable from a couple of feet away. Is this normal or is my light defective?

I think what you are describing is often called a "donut hole"

if so, it's fairly common

it could also just be an artifact, which could be anything from dust, to god only knows...

Last edited:

Ndl1911

Newly Enlightened
I think what you are describing is often called a "donut hole"

if so, it's fairly common

it could also just be an artifact, which could be anything from dust, to god only knows...

Okay thanks so I guess I shouldn't bother sending it back?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dimmer Center (donut hole) is common with the ld10 r5, ld20 r5 and pd30 r5's do to the smooth reflector. Though improved throw slightly, I still like my ld20 Q5 with the OP reflector better (no donut)
not sure about the new LD22, may have it too. Not a defect, and only bugged me white wall hunting

aau007

Enlightened

I would say a donut hole is normal but not a pin hole. Are you referring to a significanatly dark spot or just less intense in the middle?

Ndl1911

Newly Enlightened
I would say a donut hole is normal but not a pin hole. Are you referring to a significanatly dark spot or just less intense in the middle?

Its a significantly dark small hole in the center of the beam. I will try to get some pictures.

vickers214

Enlightened
I have a r5 nitecore mt2a with a smooth reflector, first xpg i have bought without a textured reflector, same thing a hole in the light off centre of the middle, again not a problem in the real world but a bit annoying and i don't notice any throw advantage,in fact my s2 eagletac p100a2 out throws it!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
now that I think about it some more... my one of the leds on my TK45 has a dark dot in the center of the beam, as does my E40 when within 2-3 feet of the wall

does it go away at 5-6 feet?

All-in-all, if it bugs you, you can send it back, but I doubt it's hurting anything.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a r5 nitecore mt2a with a smooth reflector, first xpg i have bought without a textured reflector, same thing a hole in the light off centre of the middle, again not a problem in the real world but a bit annoying and i don't notice any throw advantage,in fact my s2 eagletac p100a2 out throws it!

You can't compare different size of lights for a true comparison. The eagletac and Nitecore have different widths and depths of reflectors.

The easiest comparison is get both p60 reflectors (same emitter) and compare the beam with an op and a smooth reflector.

aau007

Enlightened
Its a significantly dark small hole in the center of the beam. I will try to get some pictures.

Here are a few things you can do:
1. Light off. Make sure there is not dirt on the lens.
2. Light off. Use a very low mode from another light and examine the reflector to make sure there is no dirt or damage to the reflector. Make sure the reflector is shinny and clean all over, especially no chipping or cracking in any of the edges.
3. This is a little tricky since LD20 does not have a moonlight mode. Find a magnifier of 3x to 6x (otherwise try any magnifier you can find). Turn light on and put the magnifier in front of the lens. Shine the light at a wall and try putting the magnifier at different distances (bud right up to the lens to like a few inches away) to focus the LED into a true image. When you get the right distance, you will see the square LED image projected to the wall. You should see an enlarged image of the actual LED with some hair lines in the LED. Once you find the distance to project the LED image, try different brightness on the light. This is the last test. If you see any dark spot on the LED or if the different sections of the LED appears to be in different brightness, there is your problem. Don't worry about the hair line dividers, they are supposed to be there.

If all 3 of above turns out good, it is still possible that you have a defective reflector that the cup shape is somehow defective to a point that the beam creates a much darker spot within the hot spot. Take a picture and post it here. If other people agree that it is normal, then it is your judgement call whether to return the light because you are unhappy with the light pattern.

aau007

Enlightened
Good advice except, you can't get into the Fenix heads because there usually glued and lockTited

No need to open the head for steps 1 & 2. For examining the reflector, just look at any visible area thru the lens and look for spots, chips or cracks. For step 3, you are using a magnifier to project an enlarged image of the lit LED to a wall to look for defects that may not be visible with bare eyes. Also no need to open the head.

aau007

Enlightened
No, all the steps I mentioned are non-intrusive examination without voiding the warranty (like opening the head) in an attempt to find the cause of the dark spot, if in fact the dark spot is unusual.

Need to find the cause before suggesting any cures (or returning for a refund).