REAL Life

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I was just thinking about the general rated lifespan of LED's (100,000 hours?), and then that of the Luxeon Portable V's (1000 hours?), and now of these Luxeon III's (50,000 hours at 700mA, and 20,000 hours at 1 amp?). And the L3's lifespan is only until it reaches its half-life, or the point at which it produces 50% of its initial lumen output. In other words it will still work, and may not even look any dimmer to the eye until you stick a brand new Luxeon in there.

And then I was recalling in my mind the usual (or is it casual?) use of flashlights, and how long I really have them turned on.

So not counting what I do for a living (and thus not counting my duty light), my average daily flashlight use is maybe a half-hour total, consisting of intermittent on-off patterns. But to offset those days where I need to search long and hard for something in the darkness, change a flat tire by the roadside, take a night walk (dogs are all paper-trained to go inside the house, so these walks are not that often), etc., let's say one full hour of flashlight use.

And let's say I use the light every single day, no days off, no vacations, no nothing -- in other words, come hayull or ha-wodder, ah'm-a usin' thet thar flayushlot one full oar ever' day.

So what's the REAL life of a Luxeon flashlight, as expressed in everyday real-life usage?

With a Lux3 at 20,000 hours, that's 20,000 days. Divide 20,000 by 365 and you get = 54+ years...

Now SURELY there will be new and better LEDs developed by then, don't ya think? And this is if I'm using just one light, meaning I would have to give the rest of them, still brand-new, to my great-grandkids!

In fact I personally don't even plan on being around in 54 years (hey, I'm already 51!). I'll be in a place that needs no lighting -- either illuminated by the sun streaming between the clouds in heaven, or the orange flickers from the fires of hayull!

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Now SURELY there will be new and better LEDs developed by then, don't ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

LED? By then our light will be produced directly through phase locked loop synthesized electromagnetic generation.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah, actually I heard our EYES will have their corneas transplanted with organically-grown reflective ones like cats have, and we won' nee' no steenkin' ligh's!!!

TheFire

Enlightened
Yes, but there will still be the loyal few, the remnant, the true flashaholics who will have to mod their corneal transpants so that they have more throw, or are brighter, or are somehow better than stock...

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, suddenly driving a now "old school" R2H 1W at insane levels (800ma+) doesn't seem so bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

jtice

Flashaholic
hmmm

20,000 / 365 ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Dont you mean (20,000 / 24= 833.3333) / 365 = 2.283 years ??

Still, 2.3 years is ALOT of use.

Makes ya fell good about pushing twice the spec mA to them huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yep, ah feel gewd. In fact I feel So good I will trot out a new mod a little later tonight...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have put a great deal of thought on this in the past as well. That's when I decided 10-20k hours was sufficient for me and yes, I'll overdrive to get brighter, thank you, despite the shorter half life. Heck, I've already swapped out LED's from ones I've done six months ago now that brighter bins (R2's) have come out. At my rate, I can run my lights 24/7 and still not reach half life before I want to replace them again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this some kind of overdriver's catharsis we're going through? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
No, it's our own little overdriver's Chat Forum, almost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice, I think Mr Bulk was going for 1 hour average of constant use per day, not 24 hours... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Yep, ah feel gewd. In fact I feel So good I will trot out a new mod a little later tonight...

[/ QUOTE ]

Paypal on standby, my friends & family may have just lost their Christmas presents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
ahhhhhhhh

I see. hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I should have known not to expect such a mistake from bulky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, still even at my calculation, its alot longer than you really need. Something better would be out in the 3 years it will last anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif