LD01 Thread play

koenfm

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a Fenix LD01 R4 that has quite some play in the threads, I have to unscrew it quite a bit to stop it from turning on when the head is pushed.
I actually like it, as it allows me to use it like a momentary forward click by holding the head with my pinky and pushing my thumb on the tail, but it also makes it a little difficult to use one handed as it will skip modes when you turn it one handed if you pull a little with your thumb and index finger, which happens a lot to get grip...
I now pull the head between my thumb and index finger, select the mode I want that way, and turn it while still pulling to lock it.

Are other Ld01's as loose or is it just mine? And how do you like it?
I also have an Olight i3 which is not as loose, but I actually miss the momentary function...

Canada

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

koenfm

Newly Enlightened
I also have an older ld01 (with 10l low) but that one is stiffer, could be due to the wear of the o ring.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I have to unscrew it quite a bit to stop it from turning on when the head is pushed. Are other Ld01's as loose or is it just mine?

Depends on what you mean by "quite a bit". Mine is completely locked out with a 1/3 (120°) turn.

tam17

Enlightened
Are other Ld01's as loose or is it just mine? And how do you like it?

My old E01 with worn out o-ring has a noticeable thread play, which allows for a momentary use. On a multi-mode light that could be annoying. LD01 has a certain amount of thread play, even when it's new, but never to such extent as you described it. However you can always stiffen it up a little bit by installing a new o-ring and lubricating with suitable grease.

Cheers

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LD01 are pretty stiff and will not be turned on accidently. I wish my 4Sevens Preon Revo warm white would be the same. That one has too much thread play, otherwise I had used it for my keychain light but now I have LD01 instead.