Luxeon III replacement

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I've been out of lights for a couple of years and just found my old Mr Bulk Lionheart.
It's got a Luxeon III TWOJ binned LED at this time.
Think this thing is 8 years old now. Can someone tell me what the newest, brightest LED I can use to replace the current LED is?
I've got some Cree P5(I think) leds but they aren't the same shape as the Luxeons.

Thanks.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best LED for upgrading the Lionheart is a CREE XM-L2 U2. Make sure to mount the LED high enough to account for the difference in height between the Luxeon and the CREE. You will likely need to use a copper shim under the LED star to get the LED properly focused in the reflector. Do a dry fit to get the proper focus before committing to anything.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that the larger die of the XM-L2 will make the hotspot grow considerably compared to what you have now. If you want to retain a smaller hotspot then you should consider the XP-G2, which will have a slightly lower lumens per watt rating, but, will give you a more intense hotspot.

You'll want to get the emitter on tiny 8mm boards if you're going to just desolder the Lux III and replace it with a new emitter.

bald1

Enlightened
I too have a vintage LiOnHeart HA3 with a Lux III TWOJ. Mine retained the V.1 firmware and has the extra 168a Otokoyama HA3 body as well as a Ti pocket clip. Being a retiree my hands and eyes aren't what they once were so attempting any upgrade myself is out of the question. Any suggestions on a reputable craftsman to accomplish the upgrade? Is Charlie Wong doing stuff like this?

Thanks.

Last edited: