Anyone else miss the all nitrolon Surefires?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been thinking about these lights recently - the G2, the G2Z - and thought about putting together a light based on one of these host. I figure with these new emitters out I could find a good 3 mode module with a respectable output since it could be run with a current drive level where heat shouldnt be an issue.

So anyone still like the ol nitrolon lights?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
YES! :) I ordered a G2,i like the look of it and really the last thing i think about it is the performance lumenwise.i will figure that "problem" out later :party:

dougie

Enlightened
I used a G2z with a alloy bezel and Malkoff M60L for over two years without any problems whatsoever. The reason for choosing a G2z was because I often had to put the light between my teeth and Nitrolon is a whole lot kinder than alloy! :) I have several G2's all with Surefire P60L modules and apart from the sickly beam color have never had a problem with them either. They are nigh on indestructible (apart from the melting hazard discovered by Tiresius) and can tolerate high (but not excessive) temperature well. Would I get rid of them? Not at the moment, as I've never come across any other plastic lights which are as durable and comfortable to hold in cold weather as Nitrolon is!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the all nitrolon bodies, my M60WLF is still going strong in my yellow G2, and I use it every day as a general purpose flashlight. The only weakness I've found is that the hardcoated window doesn't respond well to the stuff in brake cleaner. Need to get a new lens sometime :p

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I love my Nitrolon SFs I have a G2Z with a G2X clicky tailcap and a Delrin bezel ring, this thing is superlight weight. I do run XML drop-ins in it but for short bursts. Wish it could be bored to 18650 though.:eek:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/lorozco91803/2013-01-14180247_zps7734eec0.jpg

Here is my G2Z with a McClickied G2 Delrin Shrouded Tailcap, NovaTac New Style Clip and Xeno Crenelated Bezel

DSC02989.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will search the Drop in thread, but off hand, whats' the best 3 mode drop-in out now that will run in these? Even with the Nitrolon head, they surely can do 200-ish lumens on high without too much of a heat issue right?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 5 or 6 nitrolons. Wish I still had my G2Z in OD :0(. But, the nitrolon is nice in the hands and warmer during cold weather.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 & G2Z running on a R2, output around 100-120 lumen.
They are my first flashlights & I simply enjoy using them even till now.
Too bad I destroyed my G2Z while trying to bore it to fit a 18650.... :(

But no heat issues or whatsoever, even when running the R2 for long period of time.
Just that it gets warm but not too hot that I cannot touch it.

However, a aluminium bezel will help improve heat transfer if you are planning to run a high output LED.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
my yellow g2 with p60 lamp is in my regular edc rotation. love the weight and feel of nitrolon.
ive given my sister a OD green G2Z with malkoff and mcclicky. ive been wanting to replace it so i can take back the G2Z LoL.

Erzengel

Enlightened
I read some recommendations not to use the Malkoff M61 and use the M61L instead in a G2 with an aluminum bezel. The M61L has something about 500-600 mA at the LED. So 200 OTF Lumen should be possible with a XP-G2 or with an XM-L, both in the higer flux bins.

scout24

Flashaholic
On a different note, G3 is my nitrolon SF nirvana. Lumensfactory HO-9 and two 17500's, or Malkoff M61NLL with same cells. M31L with two Eneloop AA's if need be. Throw a McClicky in the tailcap for good measure, and I'm a happy camper. :) Great balance, solid feel, grippy, versatile, rechargable, simple. What's not to love. :) I own a G2 as well, but the G3 sees a bunch more use.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read some recommendations not to use the Malkoff M61 and use the M61L instead in a G2 with an aluminum bezel. The M61L has something about 500-600 mA at the LED. So 200 OTF Lumen should be possible with a XP-G2 or with an XM-L, both in the higer flux bins.

Last I heard (straight from Gene) the M61 was fine with the aluminum bezel. I wouldn't try an M91 or M61SHO however. You only need to step down to the L with polymer head lights.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Wouldn't a G3Z be awesome? :huh:
:takeit:

My mind didn't interpet that properly until I read Scouts post. I saw the 3 and was think one 3 volt battery for a short little light. I know I've seen pics of what I guess would be a G1 or G1Z!

When I got my G2 almost ten years ago I immediately put a Z32 and Z49 on it for a weapon mount. About a month ago I was playing around and temporarily put it back to stock. I never realized how small it really is!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always seem to have connection problems with aftermarket p60 drop ins. I traded all mine for 6ps, but I do love the form factor of nitrolon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Miss?? I use mine every day!

As for the G3Z... well this one is mine, and no you can't have it. :D

2ujshsz.jpg