How much do you expect to lose on avg when selling your old (or superseded) lights?

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
With all the nice, new, bright, throwy, or just plain-old-cool lights that come out all the time (yay), how much do you guys usually expect to lose on selling your old, outdated, out-lumened, out-throwed, or just plain-old-neglected lights?

Of course, I know some just don't resell their old lights as they just keep on buying the new ones, but my question is meant for those who do try to resell their old lights to recoup some of its original value.

I find i usually lose 10% - 25% on reselling my lights (the ones in near new condition or babied).

The beat up, users i don't even bother reselling.

Let me know how you guys have been fairing as i'm curious (this is an expensive hobby).

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of malkoff drop-ins. Some of my drop-ins have appreciated in value, however, I do not even think of selling those. For the rest, I break even or lose around $10-15 bucks each.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I would not bother to buy a second hand light for the sake of saving ten or twenty dollars in a hundred.

Norm

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the super high quality stuff: Mcgismo, Surefire, Malkoff, HDS if there nib or mint don't lose value (if there sale price new drops, then your out that) Sometimes you'll lose 10% more if you want to sell quick.
the mid range, good quality lights; Fenix, Jetbeam, Nitecore, Zebralight, Sunwayman 25-60% if there totally outdated,
and 20-40% if its only one generation of led off. (Still mint)

There are varying quality of lights within a brand.

Budget lights 50% - 80% once there outdated

this is how I roll in resale, everyone's different

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much discount one should give should not be compared using dollars but rather in percentage. Percentage is relative from light to light whereas dollars are not. $10 off a $300 light is peanuts compared to $10 off from a $50 light. To answer your question, I usually let mine go at 20% off for near mint condition and 40% to 60% off for users that are still in perfect working condition, but I will state the condition of the light when selling off users. End of the day, how much discount I should work on also very much depend on market demands and whether if I have the need to sell. I don't usually sell my lights but sometimes I just piled up too much and thought I might as well let some go to get some cash back into my PayPal for future purchases.

Norm

Retired Administrator
There are no hard and fast rules, certain lights in demand will always attract a premium, some lights you might find hard to give away.

Norm

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i was buying and trying out many different lights from many different brands... usually it was about 20% lost for what i purchased it for brand new, when i put it on the MP.
user condition lights i usually let go for about 40%-50% off depending on condition. anymore than that and i might as well just keep it.

but it also depends on the demand of the light.... much of my lights now are surefires, and i actually feel its current market prices are more than what i paid for them. no thanks to surefire discontinuing a large part of their line-up, and bargains for those models becoming much harder to find.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
How much discount one should give should not be compared using dollars but rather in percentage.

Yeah, i should have stated in percentage value. When i said i usually lose $10-20 of the original value when reselling, i meant approximately 10-25% on the near-new condition lights that have just been replaced w/ better LEDs.

braddy

Enlightened
Do people sale old lights like the Lightwave 4000 and 2000 in white or green, or the old CMG infinity green?

braddy

Enlightened
No, I was wondering if people bought and sold the old, low lumens, unregulated stuff.

I can see a market in high powered lights that are discounted and a year or two past their prime.

For instance 2 or 3 year old Fenix lights, but do people buy the older, weaker, less advanced lights?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the price is right, there is a market. Some of those older lights have a following.

I tend to buy either users, or new. Have never sold a light, tried but the price I set was either to high or nobody wanted it. But, I wasn't willing to accept less so it was a no sale.

brianna

Enlightened
I am just thankful that the good people here are willing to buy a light that I no longer need or want. Where else would you be able to sell a Surefire flashlight and get half or a little more of what you paid for it when it was new?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Some lights are outdated to you, but a giant leap upwards for others.

I tend to look on CPFM for example for higher end stuff that is being sold to get the latest and greatest...as being a little more patient can mean HAVING something you could not/or would not typically have sprung for at new pricing.

I might also use it to try out a budget light or a light I'm not sure about for a few bucks, etc. Example: I was curious about the Lambda Lights VPTs, etc, and grabbed a used one for ~ $100...checked it out, and then bought a newer version because I saw I liked the execution, etc.

Example: I picked up an Olight SR90 for ~ $200 when they were ~ $450 new....dedomed it, and had a really nice thrower for a ("relative") song.

I just grabbed a slightly used Polarion Abyss for less than half what they are listed for new, and so forth.

Are they state of the art? No, but they are great lights for less $ just the same.

Some people do "Catch and Release", in that they buy a new light to see how they like it/have the experience...and then sell it in essentially brand new condition, packaging and all. They can get close to what they paid, which subsidizes their hobby...and puts the $ back into their kitty to get the next one to try, etc.

Others see the U3 is out, and get get rid of the U2 version they have fast enough..and you can grab a nice U2 version for a song.

As I use my lights for work, etc...I don't NEED the light to be in shelf queen condition...a beater that was in a pocket with keys and knives is fine for me, cosmetic wear is fine, heck, its dark when I use them anyway. :D

For others, collectors...a used light is a way to complete/add to their collection if they were not around/available when the new ones were made...They might pay more for a light because of the light's significance as a part of a collection or its history, and therefore the seller might get more than he would have if the light was being sold on its merits as a tool.

So, bottom line, an "average loss" when selling a used light is the same "average loss" when selling a used car.

:D

Last edited:

CM2010

Enlightened
All depends on the age, condition and how much i need the funds. So for me i wouldn't feel bad in losing out up to 25% as some take more to shift than others.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post,never sold but let me give you my take as a buyer.I have bought a mint Romisen on the market here for a £5 before now.I expect to pay about 50% or less of retail for a second hand light from a mid range maker light Fenix-Nitecore etc.

I am eyeing some up on the market place at the moment,once the seller goes below half retail I will make my offer which will be below his selling price,it is a numbers game,some will refuse or someone else will buy at the sellers price but i will pick up a nice deal from another seller.I only buy minties.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I sold only 1 on evilbay for about 60% I paid - which was quite good.
I gave all the rest away to people who just needed a light - but not necessarily the latest models.......and I've given s**t loads away!

I never part with my older Surefire's though - only rarely to loved ones. :kiss:

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not bother to buy a second hand light for the sake of saving ten or twenty dollars in a hundred.

Norm

I couldnt agree more!

Thats the way I look at anything used. Even if its in 95% condition, the fact is, its used, so there's no justifiable reason to pay 90% of full price for something used, especially if its something like modern LED lights, which become outdated very quickly. If I were to buy a 2 year old light with a basic XM-L T-6 that was in 95% condition and 500 lumens otf that originally cost $100, I wouldnt buy it first of all, but if for some reason I did, I wouldnt pay more than $45-$55 for it tops.

Now if its some type of collectors item, and its rare, then that may be the exception, but it really depends on what its worth......

Chadder

Enlightened
I loose 100% since I always give my used lights to family or friends. I am like Norm on buying used LED lights, but I do buy used Surefire's incan's to upgrade with drop ins. My favorite light is my used C2 with upgrade.