My first post (questions too)

Plasmio

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! As the title says, this is my first post. I've been into flashlights for several years now, but have only acquired a small number of flashlights over those few years due to money going to other interests and hobbies. I've stayed away from tactical lights after buying a cheap Ultrafire without knowing that CR123As aren't as easily accessible as something like a AA, D, or AAA(this was before I knew too much about flashlights). Don't get me wrong, brands like Fenix, Eagletac, and 4sevens are "tacticool" and well-made, but the massive lumen output of some tactical lights seem like over-kill to me a lot of the time. Flashlights that run off of 123s tend to have pathetic run times. I personally would rather have a flashlight that takes AAs and has an output of 150 lumens and runs for several hours than a light that takes CR123As, has a light output of 700+ lumens, and dies in 1 hour. This leads me to my question: I've been considering a Coast HP6 due to it's features. Does anyone have a Coast HP6 and have anything good to say about it? A majority of the reviews on Amazon are positive.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!!

:welcome:

Most people here are not too up on the Coast brand and I am not familiar with the light you are talking about but I do know what you mean about run time verse lumens. I remember Carrot mentioning that 60 lumens is all one really needs. For me lumens are based on the function I am using the light for. For example I like 300 to 500 lumens for a tactical light. For me I use it as a search light. For EDC I prefer a floody light with different levels not exceeding 300 lumens. Currently I carry a Fenix LD12. I use the first two levels the most.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been into flashlights for several years now, but have only acquired a small number of flashlights over those few years due to money going to other interests and hobbies.

Simple. Give up your other interests and hobbies and spend all you money on flashlights. :devil:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple. Give up your other interests and hobbies and spend all you money on flashlights. :devil:

Yep, that`s what we all did. Some of us had...you know, wives...kids....but that was before we met flashlights. Worthy trade I`d say...

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too many years ago, some lights used for "tactical" operations advertised "60 blinding lumens" but what is adequate is certainly quite subjective. It may be enough to point out that here in CPFville there are those Rambo-type lumen junkies fantasizing about that ultimate output needed to light up the underside of cirrostratus clouds, while others here, the sub-lumen, Morlock types, seek that one faintly perceptible light with enough runtime to journey from the center to the surface of the Earth. Now, however, with technologically advanced, high performance emitters and variable controls using QTC materials, it is nearly possible to have it all (or at least a huge range in some combination of output or runtime) in a single flashlight. In other words, if Hansel and Gretel had had the right light, they could have blinded the witch and still had enough light left to get back home through the deep, dark forest.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That Coast looks like one of the better lights you could get at the hardware store, but focusing mechanisms on LED lights are generally a little chintzy and not really needed compared to a light with a nicely balanced beam profile, and it lacks a real low mode. In that price range, check out the Foursevens Mini series.

wjv

Enlightened
There really is no rule that says that you have to run the CR123 lights, or any light at max/turbo output all the time. Most of them have multiple light levels with outstanding run times.

As for the costs, buying from online sellers like BatteryJunction or buying the batteries at a gun show, I typically get CR123s for around $1 each. because they are lithium you can buy a bunch of them and stick them in a drawer since they have a long shelf life.

Additionally many of the CR123 flashlights will also take a single 18650 rechargeable battery which generally provides even a longer run time.

While I have some AA and even a couple AAA flashlights, I have gone the other way and my last 4 purchases (Fenix PD22, PD32, PD32UE, TK15) run on CR123s

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
While not new to this stuff (I have only traded two kids and a motorcycle so far), one does not need to use max output as mentioned. I have now an >Eagle Tac D25C< as my EDC and I use it two or three times a day mostly on low. A single CR123 will last me up to 2 or 3 months or longer depending .... I buy them for a buck each off Battery Junction and I just bought a dozen so I'm good for another year and a half (I also use them in my Fenix P1D and my NiteCore pistol light).

side-las-lite-turnedon.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The real answer is to not use 123's either.

Go to rechargeable lithium ion cells like the 18650 format.

ONE 18650 can have 3,400 mah, and fits where TWO CR123's would have gone. The way most most CR123 lights are wired, you get only 1,500 mah - so 3,400 mah is a big improvement.

That all means I can run at ~ 500 lumens for 3 hours or so.

:D

Last edited: