Maglite upgraded to LED

davemchine

Newly Enlightened
On a recent night time walk I noticed how pathetic the light from my 2AA maglite was. I went home, read the forum, and bought the TerraLUX LED upgrade. When it arrived I was able to swap out the parts in about 1 minute. It was just a new light and a new reflector. The result was quite astonishing. I was able to compare an identical un-upgraded flashlight to to the upgraded one and the LED was far superior. I have already ordered kits to upgrade my other three flashlights.

The only problem I encountered was with powering off the flashlight. Normally I can twist to turn off but it does not work reliably anymore. I googled to find a solution and discovered they also make a tail switch that gives 25%, 50%, 100% and a flasher so I bought that. Separately it was kind of expensive but if bought together the price was better.

Last night I went for a walk, with my wife and daughter, and was completely satisfied with the results of the upgrade. I know the price is a little high compared to buying a new led maglite but I couldn't throw out the old flashlights.

dave

Last edited:

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
The LED upgrade for my AA Mag Light is a big improvement. I was tired of replacing bulbs in these things. It's not too bright which is good for my work needs. I can lay the light on its side to wire up a panel with out being blinded. I used the the upgrade from Home Depot, about $13.00 for the kit (including a tail switch).

kidde

Newly Enlightened
I have upgraded several of the mini-mags with nite eyes kits. While semi cheap I have issues with tailcaps eventually. Are the terra-lux more reliable or similar?