Quark RGB owners: thoughts and opinions

Imon

Enlightened
I see a lot of threads on CPFMP about people who want the RGB brought back and as a RGB owner this is interesting to me as the RGB continues to have some kind of appeal.

I actually rarely use my RGB but I have a hard time justifying letting it go because of its uniqueness and discontinued status. Plus it's the only high quality light I own that is basically a all-flood, mule type of light but it's not a safe queen - I actually have it out in the open ready to use...

So I'm curious to hear from other RGB owners - do you guys use your RGB regularly? Work, home, maybe even EDC? I'd love to know if there are guys out there who put this unique light to good use.

da.gee

Enlightened
Should have bought one when they were available. The idea of pure color led appeals to me. No particular use but I also like the mule aspect although I have an official mule light.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

netprince

Enlightened
I love mine mostly for the moonlight level red. I put the fenix camping lampshade on it and leave it on the nightstand. Runs for weeks.

burntoshine

Enlightened
What I've used it most for is ground effect lighting on my mountain bike during group night rides. It looks really cool and I get a ton of compliments. I use some thin rubber and a couple velcro straps to hold the tail and body of the light to the underside of the down tube. I put some thin rubber strips between the light and the down tube and it mounts quite nicely and tight. I leave the head of the light unstrapped, so I can easily change colors. High mode is plenty bright. I've also gone out riding around town dressed as Santa during Halloween with a green underglow, waving at the kiddies.

I've also used the RGB for drawing on long exposure pictures and as mood lighting by pointing it at the ceiling.

Never going to sell it; too unique and fun.

Enlightened
I bought one when they were first available and thought it was pretty interesting but not all that useful. I bought a standard Quark replacement head for it and have used it like that ever since. Every now and then I'll pop the RGB head on and play with it a bit but then go back to the standard head. If it included a UV die, I would have found it FAR more useful.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Burntoshine, I use mine on my bike. I have it attached to my left-side chain-stay, pointing straight back at axle-level.

On high it puts out a huge amount of red light, in a very wide cone.

And it has been taking road-abuse for many years now. Every now and then I wipe the grime and salt off of the lens.

I have it on one of the (also discontinued) Quark 18650 battery-tubes, and it lasts for, I don't know, 8 or 10 hours of biking on high.

Great set-up--I love it.

Every now and then I also goof around with the blue and green (when it's not mounted on my bike), but I have never really found a purpose for them, other then general "wow!"

Illum

Flashaholic
Bought one, sold it within a week. I thought the functions were terrible. The UI was very well thought out, but there were way too many choices. I didn't think it was practical, but to each his own. I rather carry more than one light that can be taken out and used to provide exactly the amount I need without having to fiddle between modes. :shakehead

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't use mine a ton, but, like the OP, I keep it primarily due to its uniqueness and being discontinued. it's a really cool light, especially given that mine is the NW variant.

47s also has the strobe at just about the perfect frequency, too

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Bought a used one thinking it would be ideal for use around aircraft. But it turned out to be way too floody. I been thinking about getting a fenix headband for it. I never thought about using on my bicycle before, thats a good idea.